Escalante Scenic Drive, Zion, Bryce Need Help

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escalante Scenic Drive, Zion, Bryce Need Help

Good afternoon, we are leaving by car from Houston to Utah in two days. We heard that we must take the Escalante scenic drive, does anyone have information on this drive, and the road conditions at this time of the year. My husband is buying a guide to Bryce, and Zion but any do and don'ts would be more appreciated as any advice concering the trip.Has anyone visited these parks in the winter? We will head to Vegas after this and then home. Thanks!!
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I am not sure I know what you mean by the Escalante Scenic drive. Is it Utah Route 12, particularly that section which runs from Torrey to Bryce Canyon?
That road runs through Escalante country, but it traverses a variety of scenic overlooks and vistas.
If so, the road is paved and would be fine except in a snow storm.
I have driven it in the summer, and recommend it highly.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 12:57 PM

U-12 not only runs through Escalante Country, it runs through the town of Escalante as well. The scenic part does not end at Bryce Canyon. The rest of the trip between Bryce and US-89 is also quite scenic.

IMO, U-12 between Torrey and US-89 is one of the 3 or 4 most scenic routes I have ever travelled.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dixon, yes I mean Route 12. I have my Frommer's book out and can't locate Torrey. Thanks.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Frommers? I understand. Particularly after it led me off into never never land trying to find Nymphenberg Castle in Munich a couple of years ago. Wrong transportation routes indicated.

Torrey is near the entrance to Capitol Reef National Park. It is where Utah 12 intersects Utah 24, which traverses Capitol Reef. There are several motels in the area, including the Wonderland Inn and, as I recall, a Holiday Inn Express.

I hope Frommers points out that much of the route north of the Kodachrome Basin traverses outcroppings of the Navajo Sandstone, that same white sandstone formation that makes the Great White Throne in Zion and helps build those awesome cliffs and deep washes in Capitol Reef. Also, I hope it tells you about the small, but excellent, state park near Boulder.

Some excellent pottery has been excavated and stored there. I hope some of it is on public display when you stop by. It makes a pleasant break from driving.

I drove a regular car, an Impala, to Grosvenor Arch. It was not raining, so the ride was only bumpy and a little dusty. I grew up on dirt roads, so it was not much of a challenge. Rain, however, rewrites the rules.

Have a good trip.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again,the book store near us did not have a Fodor's. I will pick one up in Arizona while at the Grand Canyon. All the advice is treasured and appreciated from all. Merry Christmas, and happy holidays. Lisa
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 01:37 PM

You will have a great trip. I have been to some of those places more than twice and never grow tired of them.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 02:12 PM

If you get this before leaving, enter utahtea in the "search this forum" box above and you will get a wealth of information about the area.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

thank you, will leave in the a.m. and will check this board all night! I will do the search you suggested. Thanks foryour kindness.
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

a th
Old Dec 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM

I don't know if I'm to late or not.

I've never been at this time of the year but I hear that Capitol Reef and Torrey, Utah are VERY cold in the winter. Some tourist businesses close for the winter. I imagine it's beautiful as usual.

I've read that Hwy 12 is usually open even thought it goes thought Boulder Pass which is pretty high in elevation.

I just wanted to warn you about Cottonwood Road between Kodachrome Basin and Hwy 89. This is a dirt road that many mapping software recommends, but last year two people died when the road was snowed in and their cell phone did not work in the area.

Have a good trip and I would love to hear how the area is in January.

Utahtea