Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Escalante - problems!!! - Help please (Patrick!!!)

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

My fiancee and I had booked the Escalante for our honeymoon this July - coming from UK (Patrick helped advise!). Just been told by tour operator that they are in liquidation. Only alternative being offered to us for same price is Naples Beach Hotel and Golf club. From what I see this hotel is nothing like the Escalante and not really suitable for a honeymoon. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Martin
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should mention. Yes, the owners of Escalante were having financial problems ever since spending a fortune for the renovations and then being hit by the 9/11 tourist slump. There was a forced sale by the creditors which just closed this week. A good friend of mine was actually the sales agent who found the buyer (a regular investor of his who came up with the winning bid of $ 17.2 million). The new owner is an individual who plans to continue operating the hotel for at least one year. He wants to give it an opportunity to thrive (and he has the funds to support doing that). After a year, if it is not working out, then the property will probably be re-developed as a condominium project.
But as far as I can tell, there is now no reason to think that things shouldn't be business as usual -- or in fact, even a little better -- at least through July.

If worst comes to worst and you cannot stay at Escalante for some reason, I'd suggest checking out Edgewater Resort instead -- near the Naples Beach Hotel, but a much more intimate (and younger) vibe.

Has your "operator" given you an indication that your reservation is void?

It is interesting that you posted this. I was just thinking this morning about posting a message about Escalante.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for confirmation, I emailed my realtor/investor friend and checked it all out with him. Here's his reply which I just got:

"It is definitely staying open. We will be redeveloping the property, but that takes a while. The hotel will remain open. It is 100% booked, so tell her to come on down. If she is worried tell her to call the hotel and ask for Mary Brandt. She will be happy to reassure her.

Paul"
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile Martin, I apologize for the "she" in the email. I made the error of saying a "woman" had asked about their honeymoon. I hadn't noticed your name of Martin at the bottom. How nice to see a groom doing the planning instead of the bride!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Thanks for replying so quickly Patrick...and it's ok being called 'she' - I've been called worse.

I don't know what the situation is - I just got a phone call today from the travel agents I booked through saying that the Escalante is in 'liquidation' and so we couldn't go therefore they were offering us the Beach Club. I'm going in to see them tomorrow so I'll ask a bit more. Very interesting to hear what you have said though.

Thanks

Martin
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For starters you can inform the agent that she is definitely wrong, well just outdated. Escalante WAS in liquidation, but is no more. It now has a new owner.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Just to update you.
Tour operator wouldn't let us go to Escalante so we have cancelled and rebooked directly with hotel. Hotel was good enough to honour special rate we had through tour company.

Anyone know of people who have been since change in ownership and what they thought?

Thanks

Martin