denver to mesa verde

Apr 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

denver to mesa verde

Hi, I'm flying into Denver on May 18th staying one week. I would like to see Mesa Verde Natl Park and can't decide whether to drive to/from Mesa Verde or fly down and drive back to Denver. I plans are open, but I think I need at least 2 days in Mesa Verde. What do you think? ... thanks

Apr 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I used to drive Colo Springs to Durango all the time, took me around 7 hours (through Alamosa & Pagosa Springs). From Denver it will take you around 8-9 hrs. You could fly but be warned if you haven't already checked that rates are usually sky high to fly into Durango from Denver. I would probably stay in Durango for the two days and drive to Mesa Verde from there. You would definitly save time though if you flew into or near Durango, stayed 2 days and then drive to Denver.
Apr 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM

I'd probably either drive or fly round-trip, not do half and half. You can fly into Cortez or Durango, but lenleigh is right; it's very expensive. The cheapest I've ever seen the flight to Durango is $210 RT, and it's usually more like $360. If you drive, you might want to make a big loop from Denver to Mesa Verde and back.

2 days in Mesa Verde will be nice, but maybe more than you need if they haven't opened all the ruins yet. In the winter, only Spruce Tree House is open, but sometime in May they start tours to other ruins, as well. It would be worth checking with the park so you can get there at a time you can visit more ruins.
Apr 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Not to worry, it looks like Cliff Palace and Balcony House have tours in May.

http://www.nps.gov/meve/park_info/sc...rpretation.htm

Utahtea

Apr 20th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. While I don?t want to spend my vacation in the car (14 hours?), I?ve read the drive is breathtaking. I will, most likely, drive to/from Mesa Verde by way of Grand Junction and spend time at Telluride. Thanks again!!!
Apr 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM

I'd advise a couple of days at Mesa Verde. Also, it makes sense to stay in the park at Farview Lodge. The rooms are so-so, but the views and the convenience make it worthwhile. If you're driving both ways, a very scenic and interesting route is to take highway 82 south from Glenwood Springs, then highway 133 through Redstone (worth a stop) and over McClure Pass to Delta and Montrose. Take the Silver Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton down to Durango.