English language difficulties in Europe

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English language difficulties in Europe

Hi,
Just wondering about other english speakers experiences with the local languages while travelling through Europe?
How do they cope and how many people in countries like france, germany, and italy speak english?
Thanks
Trip
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:35 AM

You wont have any problem travelling in Belgium.PAul
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Learn a few key phrases for each place you will visit (please, thank you, hello, I have a reservation, etc) and you'll do fine. The young people in Italy (and probably other countries) now take English classes in school so most will speak SOME English especially in larger cities. Also Learn words like open, closed, left, right, the days of the week, hot, cold that will come in handy for reading signs. Once you make an attempt in the local language most will help you communicate, either in English or their own language. Be patient, polite and most importantly TRY! I have had no problem in France or Italy with this approach.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Ditto what Margo posted, and I'll emphasize the Please and Thank You's. Politeness is understood everywhere. A good phrase book is helpful, because you can point out the word to them in a pinch.

Unless you are in a rural area, you should have no problem.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I've been to France, Germany and Italy and did not have a problem communicating.

As Margo said, try to learn some basic words: greetings, directions, food names (very important for me as I am vegetarian), colours and numbers. Walk with a pocket dictionary. It will come in quite handy, especially at restaurants.

I've even resorted to pencil and paper-when in country side villages : drawing became my means of communication when I was searching for a particular Christmas tree ornament once!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM

In my travels to Greece, Turkey, France, Italy, and Germany; I had the same experience wherever I went:

1) I learned a few key phrases in the local language.
2) I made an attempt to speak in the local language.
3) through body language, I made it clear that I was clueless despite my attempts.
4) the native speaker would invariably respond politely in English; as if to say, "Okay, you've been polite enough to speak my language. Now I'll speak English so we can communicate."
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Agree that you need to learn the basic tourist pharses for any country you go to - hello, goodbye, please, thank you, where is, how much, do you speak english, names for toilets ( male and/or female).

That said - in France, Germany and italy it is unlikely you will need any of this in cities or near major tourist attractions (although in small towns some people - esp older ones may not have any english).

But - in almost 70 trips covering parts of almost every country in europe have never had any problem that couldn't be solved with my broken whatever, their broken english and sign language. (Although about 30 years ago in Germany in a small town shop it did take a while to differentiate between a swim cap and a shower cap.)

Don't give it a second thought.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do not expect anyone to speak English in Europe (though many do, I don't count on finding them). If you stay calm, keep your eyes open, and watch how things are being done around you... you can figure things out without language in most situations.

That said, at a train station or hotel front desk you will likely find someone who speaks English.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM

There's a duplicate thread on the Europe board (where the topic belongs, of course).
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM

My experience is the same as suze's.

Millions before you did not speak the languages of countries they visited; you will have the same adventure they had.

Relax and enjoy.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM

We've been to Paris, Munich, Rome and Florence and we don't speak any French, German, or Italy. If you're staying in cities, generally visiting tourist areas, you'll be fine. It's helpful to learn phrases, but I never seem to remember anything from the guidebooks. We've gotten by perfectly in cities with saying, in the appropriate foreign language, please, thank you, you're welcome, good day, good night, excuse me, and two. You'll find far more people in the service industry speak English than you'd expect.

In areas where English is a rarity, pointing, smiling and please and thank you in the appropriate language go a darn long way. Also, it's good to know generally what foods are, or have a little guide to foods (my DH doesn't eat pork, so we have to know what is off-limits).
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM

I have found that many Europeans speak more than one language. My Spanish and Italian went a long way in France! In several places where I could not find someone who spoke English, I did find someone who spoke Spanish or Italian. And in one place I managed to have a slightly bizare conversation with a man who spoke Portuguese and was able to get enough of my Span-talian to communicate the gist of it in French to the shopkeeper. We all had several good laughs in the process.

And, in addition to learning a few key phrases, learn how to say a few foods you like. When in doubt, I found that "Heineken" is understood universally!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM

Whatever you do or dont do when you enter a store, hotel or wherever there are French people pullleeeze say "bon jour" or "bon soir". It is de rigeur. Or expect to be ignored.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM

And be sure to say "Merci au revoir" when you leave and palce of business!