Search

Enchanted April?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enchanted April?

I've always wanted to treat myself to an Enchanted April getaway and stay in a beautiful, but small, inn/B&B/villa on a lake and do nothing all day but read outside in a comfy wicker chair, hike a bit, take a swim, have someone bring/prepare all my meals and not feel like I have to be chatty.

Does such a place exist? Have you been there?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Friends of mine used to rent a house in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico that came with a couple who cooked & took care of the grounds. Not a lake though. You might want to post this on the Europe board.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Arabella, you may find your answer at slowtrav.com and/or slowtalk.com, two noncommercial related websites with everything (almost) you need to know about Italy, posted by travelers who've been there and loved it.

Suggest you follow mclaurie's advice and post on the Europe board.

Buon viaggio
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Arabella: I interpreted your post as wanting an Enchanted-April-like experience here in the US...others obviously thought you meant to post this on the Europe forum. Would you clarify?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, BuzzyJ, you're right. I'd like a Enchanted April experience here in the states. Something like Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island in GA -- except I don't want to dress for dinner. Any ideas?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Arabella - I would recommend the Jekyll Island Club Hotel on Jekyll Island, GA. It's an old victorian Queen Anne style hotel from the 1800's. Back in the 1800's the entire island was a private club owned by the likes of J.P. Morgan, the Vanderbilts, the Astors, etc. The hotel was their clubhouse and they spent their winters there. It overlooks the Intercoastal Waterway. The pool is very peaceful, there are wicker chairs and verandahs everywhere, and croquet on the front lawn. It's far enough south to have a tropical flavor to it and the prices are reasonable. We stayed in the main building, for about $170/night. But since, they've renovated two of the original "cottages" (think on a large, elegant scale) and rooms are available in them also. I think they are a little more expensive than the main hotel. You can rent bikes and there are bike paths around the island. The beach is a 5 minute drive, but the hotel actually overlooks the Intercoastal Waterway, so you have the waterfront view. Dinner at the hotel is dress, however, there are two nice, but casual restaurants on the water within a stones throw of the main hotel. Also, the whole site is a National Historic District and there are several of the old "cottages" on the grounds that are open for tour daily. Check out their website and have a great time, whatever you decide.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, dgarland. That sounds ideal; I'll check it out.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:53 AM

The Point at Saranac Lake, NY-former Rockefeller Estate http://isearchhotels.com/HotelDetail...HotelID=173114

Mackinac Island