Empire State Building Wedding Proposal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to propose to my girlfriend at the top of the Empire State Building. I realize that its pretty well-trodden territory but we both love NYC and I figured what better place to do it!! I know that the security check to get to the top is pretty involved. Does anyone have experience carrying an engagement ring through without having to lay it on a table for examination? Want to cover all my bases and keep the element of surprise. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM

You do have to pass through a metal detector. However, an ordinary amount of jewelry on the ladies won't set it off, so one ring in your pocket is not likely to set it off either. Just make sure you're not walking through with a pocketful of coins and lots of other metal!

Also, they're a bit casual about the whole thing. Once I set of the alarm. My pockets were so deep and so full of odds and ends I was unable to locate "the metal" (which turned out to be a pocket sized tin of Altoids) quickly and I was waved on. (And, this was after 9/11).

In our experience, the top is not so crowded after dinnertime (dusk is especially nice, with staying until dark and the lights have been turned on all over).

You might also want to consider a Circle Line Harbor Lights cruise...you leave during daylight, round the bottom of the island (after going very close to the Statue of Liberty) or turn around at the Chrysler Building (depending on the time of year) around dusk, and return after dark, with another pass close to the SOL, when the lights have been turned on all over. With the glorious scenery and amazing bridges, the whole thing is quite magical and romantic. And, those boats are so large (and often not full) that you're sure to be able to find a private spot.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I have 2 other suggestions for the proposal, the top of the Met Museum, that way you can get a glass of wine right then to celebrate.

Another suggestion is the Cloisters up in our neck of the "woods", lol. The Cloisters if you have not been there yet, looks like a castle from the 1500's. There are several nice gardens, some overlooking the Hudson River that might also provide that romantic spark, after the proposal you might walk through the park to the restaurant in Ft. Tryon Park to celebrate with a nice dinner.

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:09 PM

If you are really worried maybe you could consider NOT having the ring in the presentation box. I can't imagine the ring on its own setting off any alarms, but the boxes are usually metal covered with fabric.

Hey, congratulations in advance. It's surely going to be a looooonnnnggggg wait in line for YOU, though.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM

William, what a romantic idea! My DH works at the ESB, and I asked him your question. He says that when he has had to go through the metal detectors, his wedding ring didn't set off the alarms, so chances are your engagement ring wouldn't, either. Congratulations! Please come back and tell us how everything went.