Search

Wedding in Perth

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Kate

Wedding in Perth

My son is going to be married in Perth to a lovely Australian young lady. My question is what is the groom's family responsible for? In our part of the US, the groom's family traditionally hosts the rehearsal dinner, and that is about all. What is expected in Australia? Someone told me that the groom's family is expected to provide for the bar at the wedding reception. Is this true? What else is the groom's family expected to be responsible for? We want to do whatever is expected. Thanks!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
liz

That is correct, you are responsible for the alcohol at the wedding reception. It would also be nice if you held a pre-wedding dinner for the brides immediate family and the couple as well but that is not expected as it's optional. <BR>The bride's family pay for the reception and the groom's family the drink. You may wish to discuss this with your son as some reception centres have the drink included with a limit - after which you then pay per drink. <BR>The best possible method to use is to order several cartons of white wine, some red and a couple of Champagne for toasting. In Australia we do not drink very much in the way of spirits and since alcohol prices went through the roof no one would expect to get a whole variety of spirits at a wedding. Anyway things may have changed since I got married and I would expect you to get other answers. Hope these comments help and good luck to you and yours.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 05:28 PM
xxxx

Well Kate, Liz is correct.<BR>Have you got any idea how much aussies can drink?<BR>An the absolutely worst thing that can happen at any aussie wedding reception is that the bar runs dry.Nothing worse than a "pub with no beer".To totally alarm you...have a look at a movie video called "Dimboola"<BR><BR>As well,your husband may be asked to make a long and boring speech.<BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Kate

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything else we need to know to get off on the right foot with the Bride and her relatives?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:09 PM
liz

Nothing else - just be yourself, they are probably quite worried about being "ok" from your point of view too.