Getting married to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to get married in Santorini this year, we are both Orthodox and we are trying to do everything without the help of a wedding planner. Could anyone help us with the paperwork?
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:44 AM

We got married last year in Santorini with the help of a wedding planner. We tried to do everything on our own in the beginning but it was impossible since we didn't know the place or the people at all and we had made some very bad decisions at first when we were planning everything on our own. It turned out that we were getting higher prices on the hotels and all the services and our wedding planner Stella was able to give us discounts, make everything quickly and keep us happy at the same time. We wouldn't have done it without her so we would recommend her to you without a doubt! Here is her website in case you want to send her an e-mail:
http://www.santorini-weddings.info/

We had a beach wedding in Kamari but we did see an Orthodox church that we liked very much, it is called Anastasi and it is located in Imerovigli, maybe you've seen it already. Our planner helped us with all the paperwork too, she gave us clear instructions on what to do and who to contact. If you want to organize everything else yourserves then maybe you should contact a planner for the documents, this is the hardest part!
Anyway good luck with everything, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer, I can't stop talking and bragging about my perfect wedding! hahahhaa
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Actually, what makes me really worried is the paper work. You know any omission that can destroy a perfctly organised ceremony. What is more, I want every single detail to have been planned in the best way and this means that I have to talk the wedding planner again again. I will be amazingly anxious until the wedding day arrives and the thing is that we are going to invite almost 50 people from are home town. I want everything to work perfect for them as well.
Do you think that she will accept to take care for all of us? Is it easy to make the wedding on the date we wish?
How long in advance had you booked the wedding date and the wedding in general?
Do you think that I should hurry up?
What about the cake and the other staff? Were they really nice and worth paying?
How did you arrange the decoration of the wedding place?
I know that I am asking too many staff but I would like to have a bride’s review before e-mailing the wedding planner.
I have checked the link you posted and the photos look great. It looks pretty interesting and I am going to send an e-mail after your reply.
Thank you in advance for your help. I wish you to have a happy marriage!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:01 AM

Ok, let’s take this one step at a time!
There’s a list of documents that you need to gather and a series of procedures that you need to follow in order to get the paperwork done and every time you have a question you can ask the wedding planner. When you get all the paperwork done about a month before the wedding you will scan the documents and then send them to her to have a look if anything is missing. This way you will know if everything is going well with the paperwork and during the procedures you can ask for guidelines and clarifications as many times as you want, at least that’s what we did. Stella also sent us sample documents from other people with our origin so we knew exactly what to do. Here are some first guidelines for you:
http://www.santorini-weddings.info/legal-documentation/

Regarding the wedding date we didn’t have a problem getting the one that we wanted although we did book our wedding last minute, we are last minute people you see, making decisions on the spur of the moment. Of course it is better to plan ahead especially if you are the anxious type of bride. This will give you time to go over everything many times and make changes, let alone the fact that it will be easier for you to find availability in hotels, restaurants, venues etc.

Our cake was two layers covered with white marzipan and butterflies as a decoration while the filling was all chocolate and fruit. It was absolutely delicious, I am drooling when I think about it, Greek sweets are much different than our own sponge cakes, sooooooo tasty! It was definitely worth paying but it wasn’t that expensive to tell you the truth, we would have paid a higher price for it here at home.

Regarding the decoration of the venue I described to Stella exactly how I had dreamt of the ideal wedding location for us and she made everything happen. Our theme color was turquoise and we wanted many candles and sea shells so she used turquoise tablecloths and tulle combined to a bit white and added many white sea shells, some pebbles and many candles and created the atmosphere that we were hoping for! The decoration was just brilliant, we wouldn’t have made it better ourselves.

I hope that my answers will make this easier on you. Good luck with the preparations.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow! First of all, thank you sooooooooooooo much for you are answer! It sounds simple…the wedding must have been amazing and…the cake sound really delicious. I am thinking of asking for the same recipe for my wedding too! I had also thought of blue decorations because it will fit with the color of the sea. You have provided me with great ideas. I have just sent an e-mail to your wedding planner and I am waiting for her answer. The photos of previous weddings on the website have impressed me. I am looking forward to make a dreamy wedding there and I am almost sure that my guests will enjoy it as much as my husband and me!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM

A word of advice. Make sure your wedding planner is a "local" and not just a services broker who lives off-island.