Search

Empire state building ..and then??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Empire state building ..and then??

Hello there
My husband and I are arriving in NY July 5th at at 7pm and staying in the upper west side between columbus and broadway. I wanted to go to the Empire state building that night, any other suggestions about where else to go after and maybe a great casual NY restaurant to go to after
thanks!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM

Sorry, I can't help with a restaurant, but I wanted to warn you to expect long lines...
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM

Go to the Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State Building. The views are even more spectacular and then you can see the Empire State Building from the Top of the Rock. No lines! If you want to go to the top of the Empire State, you'll probably be in line for 2 hours.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:59 PM

Hey I'd say go for it and go to the top of the Empire State. But be prepared for long lines.

There are not alot of good restaurants in the immediate area so how about a few block walk east to 3rd Ave?

If you walk 34th St to 3rd you will have some fun options.

33rd and 3rd is an outdoor cafe, used to be called the Back porch, not sure of the current name. A liitle walk south there are several restaurants, probably the best is Coppola's at 27th, very good italian.

If you walk up 3rd, at 38th is a great Tex-Mex called the Rio Grande and if you are looing for a great seafood spot 3rd and 40th is Docks.

If you decide to head back uptown, you can take the D train at 34th and 6th up to 59th St and walk up Broadway, there are lots of restaurants in that area near Lincoln Center, or keep walking up and you will find Columubs Ave at 67th St and there are tons of restaurants all the way up Columbus, my favorite there is Pomodoro on Columbus and 71st St.

You also might get a copy of Zagat's Guide so you have a great restaurant close by anywhere you are in the city.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

I agree that Top of the Rock is a much better option - timed tickets instead of waiting on line for hours. (If you get to your hotel at 7pm you problably won't be on top of ESB until 9:3- or 10.)

Also - that's not a great area for dining.

The are you're staying in has tons of great choices, including a lot of outdoor cafes - which you won;t find near ESB.

If you do Top of the Rock you could grab a bite a the Rock Center Cafe.

If you want to eat back updtown there are numerous choices. for nicer - Isabella's, Nice Matin or Ocean. For more casuale - just walk up and down the avenues and you'll find dozens of choices.

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM

If your heart is set on the ESB, how about a nice dinner, THEN the ESB? One of my friends took his kids there after seeing a Broadway show and at that time of the night, they "only" had a 45 minute wait. It is open until 2 am and the last elevators go up at 1:15 am.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

When I stayed on the Upper West Side, I found a restaurant via Fodors book. It was a nice restaurant where John Lennin had been. I don't know the name, not very helpful I know, but you could look it up. It has a lovely back patio.

(its in the section of the book that talked about famous places/movies in NYC. OH, if only I could remember!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

Something else, when I was in NYC in May, my friends and I walked on Broadway going south from 103rd. We found a LOVELY little cafe full of desserts and coffee. Again, don't know the name, but it has a read awning and is on the east side of Broadway. Delish. In fact, I had to go to the powder room. It was downstairs. I thought it would be dingy and gross, but it was where they baked the goodies. Very Rich, very decadent, very delightful. YUMM for breakfast or late morning snack.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info!!
All the info is a great help
(Too bad I purchased ESB tickets on line already)
I love this web site!