Emergency help needed!! Leaving tommorrow!

Jul 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Emergency help needed!! Leaving tommorrow!

I've got a seven-year-old who loves to shop. For clothes, makeup, and toys, generally. Obviously we plan on stopping at FAO Schwartz, Toys R Us, World of Disney, and American Girl Place. Where else can we take her? This is all she's agreed to go to, and the hotel doesn't have a pool. Help!
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM

You're bringing her to NYC, the greatest city in the world! Bring her to the Met, the Central Park Zoo, the Bronx Zoo, the MOMA, the wax museum, a Broadway show, etc. Shopping - eh, you can get all that stuff anywhere else. The only one on your list that I'd do is American Girl, that's sort of unique. BTW, YOU'RE in charge! Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh but the "this is the only thing she's agreed to do" put me over the edge. Enjoy our beautiful city.
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM

How about Statue of Liberty? Sometimes children don't know what they will enjoy. When I was in Paris with my daughter and her friend, my daughter was more than willing to go to art musuems, etc. but the friend was not so we planned shopping on the way to wherever we were going. Ok, now we have spent 2 hours shopping now it's my turn to spend 2 hours in a museum.

Definitely the Met though. There are so many different things kids could enjoy. The Egyptian section with a pyramid was a hit.

Ride the Staton Island Ferry and go have pizza!

I can remember saying to my daughter's friend, after shopping for two hours in Florence, so OK you are going to go home and tell your friends you saw SHOES in Florence. lol I finally figured out that a taxi was a god send to get between point A and point B without having to stop and shop!
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM

I'm happy that you are looking for suggestions for your 7 year old, but please, I agree with the previous poster, why is she agreeing to certain things? You are the parent, plan a fun vacation and don't let her dictate to you what you are doing! If you do your research, like you are doing, you can plan a fun vacation for kids without making them the "boss".
Jul 31st, 2009, 10:22 PM

I'd suggest getting a book on New York on your way out of town, if possible so she has some ideas of what is available and what she can see, if you get her into the planning a bit, it might be easier to motiviate her.

Shopping, I know I'll get grief, but for a 7yr old, who will grow out of everything in a few months, CONWAY is great. Tees and jeans and stuff for school CHEAP, but decent quality. That's where I get all my summer stuff from. It's next door to Macy's at 35th and Broadway. The store is PACKED with merchandise so you have to really look around, but you will find things she likes there. She might also like Daffy's which is across the street at 34th and 6th Ave.

You didn't mention how long you are going to be here, but if you have a few days, you might head out to Jones Beach, (Long Island Railroad to Freeport station and follow the crowds to the bus and get off at the second stop at Jones Beach, there's a huge pool as well as a cafe, ice cream stand and of course changing rooms/shower if you want at the end of the day. The bus will pick you up and take you back to the train into the city. LIRR offers this as a day pass train/bus roundtrip for $18pp. Or you can go out to Fire Island to the Sunken Forest the family area of the island.

I'd be happy to meet up for coffee if you need more help or a bit of a tour, let me know.
Jul 31st, 2009, 11:00 PM

"This is all she's agreed to go to, and the hotel doesn't have a pool."

This is a joke - right?

I think the others are being waaaaay too kind. You are going to NYC and taking a 7 yo to shop for make up? You are letting a 7 yo tell you what to do?
Aug 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM

I would visit the Empire State Building. If you can, buy tickets for a Broadway play. Go to 42 St. and Broadway and buy tickets at TKTS stand. They are 50% off for same day shows. A musical would be nice.
If the weather permits, the Circle Line has boat tours of NYC. A trip to the Bronx should include the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Gardens.
Aug 1st, 2009, 12:55 AM

Who's the parent here?
Aug 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM

I suggest you take all the funds that she uses for clothes, make-up and pools and establish a fund for future psychiatric visits. That is if she lets you.

(Is this convincing satire or a frightening future monster?)
Aug 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM

Warren - you said it all --!! To the OP - All the great places mentioned do have shops -- But I'm thinking this is great satire!
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! And no, its not a joke. I just was looking for something for her to do while her sister is at the UN, which will not be fun for anyone if we have to drag her along. This is why she sort of controls the trip. She is the lowest common denominator in the family
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I'm her 24\7 entertainment system otherwise so...(god, my little sister sucks.)
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:34 AM

I would strongly suggest that the UN tour be skipped entirely. It is a boring tour even for those who know their Ralph Bunche from your John Bolton, let alone a controlling seven year old.
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:34 AM

I know it is completely out of place to advise a parent on how to bring up their children - as I have well learned from my children re their children. BUT: introducing a 7 year old to the consumer culture is a bit much since there is so much stuff out there that will help her expand her view of the world. E.G. a visit to the Met could be exciting - if you choose stuff that could interest and excite her. My suggestion: the Gubbio Studiolo - a truly magic room from 15th century Italy - a masterpiece of inlaid wood (intarsio) that creates the illusion of 3 dimensionality on a flat surface. And note all the interests of the patron of the room - Duke de Montefeltro - a truly Renaissance man with all sorts of interests that are evoked in this room. Kids love it.
Visit the African galleries and the Pacific area galleries - phantasmogoric masks and costumes. If you have a little sketch pad - ask your kid to sketch a mask of her own design after viewing these. Egyptian galleries - always a big attraction and make sure to see the models of Meketre. BTW - there is no pyramid at the Met - you have to go to Egypt for that. But the Temple of Dendur is fun - and look for the 19th century graffiti (made by tourists of that day) all over the temple.
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:41 AM
cd

I read your son's report on your trip to Washington and although it sounded a bit harried, it sounded as if he retained a lot and it was a good experience. This is what you will give your 7yr old. Experiences. She can shop anywhere.
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:48 AM

7-year-old loves make-up? Is she one of the girls they show on TLC "toddlers in tiaras"? Can she read? Would she be interested to visit a zoo? a museum?
Aug 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM

GABS, I may be in the minority here, but I feel your pain. When we took our young daughter to the Museum of Natural History all she cared about was the nice park: Central Park, when we finally made it to Central Park, her question was "where are the swing"s. On our trip to the UK we always set aside some "kid" time for her, Harrods toy dept, parks with playgrounds etc. Only you know your child.

I agree that we are the parents and a 7 year old shouldn't dictate our life, however, they are children. They are not mini-adults. I am an assistant nursery school teacher. Kids do grow up faster in this generation, but they are still children. People may be appalled at a make-up for 7 year olds; we didn't have make-up per say, but we had "pretend" make-up, nail polish etc. Today's kids may be done playing with dolls way earlier than we were, believe me they still play with them, when no one is watching them. Right or wrong, this is the way it is.

It is our job to expose them to the finer things, but we cannot expect them to absorb or appreciate these things in the same way that we do. Their maturity level is just not there.

I also have a theory: as parents we take our children to attractions that we went to as children ourselves. The parents are festinated and have a blast, the kids are often bored. One day they will bring their own kids and love it.

Things I have learned as a parent of now 13 year old daughter:
Let her use a digital camera, if you have to buy her an inexpensive one, do it. She will be more interested in the sites and it will keep her busy. Trust me on this one.

At age 11 we took her to MOMA - Museum of Modern Art, my attitude was you have to expose them to art, etc. I didn't realize that cameras were allowed in some of the galleries. She had a ball using the camera on my cell phone. A full size camera would have been great. Just check different rules about cameras in different sites/exhibits.

Toys R Us Times Square is a lot of fun. Give her a budget if you need to. They have sections devoted to each toy - ie, Barbie, Legos, etc. Best place for decent bathrooms.

American Girl Place, make sure you give her a dollar amount. That place is very dangerous financially.

I don't know if Broadway is in your budget, if it is, there are several shows that she may enjoy.

Let her buy some "junk" from street vendors, crappy sunglasses, etc. I know in the winter they have cheap funky hats, scarves etc. You can get a lot of mileage from a funky hat. Pizza, ice cream, always hits.

I know that a whiney child can make your life a living h*ll. Try to keep her going as long as you can get some adult stuff shoved in.
Aug 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM

One other thing that might be fun is to have her picture done up by the Central Park Zoo, near the Plaza Hotel (lower part of the park, around 60th st). I think it's cheesy but I'm from here....many friends who've come to visit have also enjoyed it. There is also the Circle Line, which I love, and there is that speedboat tour that leaves from the port near the NY Waterway Ferry. I've heard good things about that.
Aug 1st, 2009, 09:25 AM

Not sure how a 7 year old managed to seize control of a vacation - but that just isn't the way life works (unless you want a true monster on your hands in a few years). Certainly take her to some of the places she wants - but also include other activities of interest to all and some places that are educational/informative.

Do not miss:

The Museum of Natural History
The Met - there are some parts everyone loves - even if only the Costume institute and the Temple of Dendur
Central Park (Carousel, zoo, bike riding, rent a boat on the lake)
State Island ferry ride (great views of the skyline) or a Circle line cruise
Top of the Rock
At least one Broadway show (go to TKTS booth for discounts)

And if she whines too much, tell her next time you will go on vacation alone and she can stay with grandparents
Aug 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM

Sorry -

She can only control things if you let her. If you refuse to allow her to dictate everyone will have a much better time - and she will have many fewer problems later in life. (YOU may think you have to give in to her - but nobody else will want to - and you're setting her up for a lot of problems later on if you don;t get this under control.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO