Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is Quay Shopping Plaza from Embassy Suites? How long does it take to walk over there? Need to pick up a rental car...
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I'm assuming you mean the Embassy Suites on 17th Street? (There are several in Ft. Lauderdale). If my assumption is correct then the Quay is practically right across the street but a couple of blocks long. Depending on where in the Quay you are going it could take 1 to 5 minutes to walk there. Pretty convenient!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the one on 17th St. Thank you for the info.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I looked up some addresses and figured out the Quay is no more than 5 blocks from the Embassy Suites. Since I live in Ft Laud I took the liberty of calling just to make sure I was thinking of the right shopping plaza. The bellman told me it's only 2 blocks away, but according to the addresses of some of the businesses in the shopping center, it's closer to 4 or 5 blocks away (to the farthest point of The Quay.) I also asked if their shuttle drops people off at nearby locations and they said it's strictly for Airport and Seaport use only.

Hope this helps you. Also, if you like New England style seafood, there's a great local place right across the street from the Embassy Suites "Kelly's" in the Southport Shopping Center. It's a nice little restaurant/bar. They serve shellfish, burgers, really good onion rings...mmmmm, and they have an extensive list of beers. The staff is really friendly, too. It's located on the end of the shopping center closest to the Embassy Suites and faces Cordova Road.

I hope this info has helped you. Enjoy your stay in the area.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Heartburn3,
Thank you very much for the info. We will stay in Embassy Suites for a day before our cruise. Our flight will get in prett early so I guess we can either walk or take a cab.
What kind of shops is in this Quay Shopping Plaza? Is it like a typical "mall"?
Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:09 AM

It's not a spectacular shopping area like a real mall, so don't get your hopes up too much. Mainly it's more of a spread out group of one story strip malls -- real estate shops, boat sales, offices, beauty salons, mailing stations, and a few miscellaneous stores and shops. Bimini Boatyard is in the back of the complex -- a fun old Florida looking place with a big deck/patio on the canal behind. Fun for drinks or light, casual food.

Trust me, you won't take a cab to the Quay from Embassy Suites. It IS very close!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM

they'll have luggage and will want to take the Embassy Suites shuttle to the hotel, drop off the luggage for safe-keeping and then go get the car. It's an easy walk. BTW, which rental car is in the Quay? Like Patrick said, it's basically a strip mall. Between the Quay and the Embassy Suites, there's a Publix grocery store and a good drug store in case you need any last-minute items for the ship (my niece bought loads of stuff she forgot to pack.) If you want to do some shopping in a mall, head up to Galleria Mall on Sunrise Blvd near the intracoastal waterway. And if you want to do some MAJOR shopping, head west to the Sawgrass Mills Mall. To get there, take I-595 (the interstate that runs on the north side of the airport) west to Flamingo Road (the exit before it is Hiatus Rd), turn right (north) and when you get to Sunrise Blvd the mall is on the NW corner, you can't see it because of the landscaping on the corner. You'll probably prefer to stay in Ft. Lauderdale for the day and check out the beach area (unless you're a shopaholic...LOL)
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for both Patrick and Heartburn3's comments. Our flights is scheduled to land around 7AM. Instead getting a rental car by the airport and run into morning commute traffic, I thought it is easier to take the hotel shuttle to drop off the luggage (and have some Java) before getting a car to see some sights.
Budget is supposed to have an office there (1515 SE 17th St.)