Notices

Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge..then what?

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge..then what?

Help! I'm having a hard time putting my days together for our NYC trip in May. For Saturday, I was thinking we could leave very early for the first boat to Ellis Island (mom really wants to visit), spend a few hours, subway to brooklyn for Grimaldi's (does this make sense from Battery Park area?) and ice cream, walk the bridge back, and then what? We have a show planned for 8pm and we will do dinner after the show. I figure we should have a few hours to fill between the walk back over the bridge and time to clean up for broadway. I plan to spend just two-three hours on Ellis Island.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
GoTravel

You'll be pushing things to get all that accomplished in one day. You will not have the two hours you think you will.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the honest advise. So, if these things were important, what order would you try to do them in with two full days and two 1/2 days?

WTC site
St Pauls
Ellis Island
Grimaldi's/walk across the bridge
Chinatown/Little Italy w/stop at Dumpling House on Eldridge
Possible Tenement Museum and LES
St. Pat's/5th Avenue
Central Park
Couple hours at the Met

I was thinking:

Arrive at noon
Lunch at Grand Central
Subway to Met
Walk back to midtown via Central Park
Shoot for Top of the Rock around sunset
Dinner (to be determined)

Saturday:
Ellis Island
WTC site
St. Pauls
(fill in the gap if there will be one)
Curtains on broadway 8pm
dinner

Sunday:
LES area and Tenement Museum Tour
Brooklyn for pizza and walk back
Explore chinatown and little italy

See, I'm lost--there's just not enough time!!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Nothing wrong with "over planning" going with the flow and saving what you don't get to for next time!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM

I think your 3 day plan sounds good! Make sure you are on the first ferry to Ellis. The ferry will stop at the Statue first, great photo ops but don't get off. There will be no time gap!

Are you going to see a specific exhibit at the Met? You will have to limit what you see there -- it is huge!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Your plan seems full, but may work out. I would give it a go, and if you run out of time just adjust as you go along.

I think you will really enjoy Ellis Island. I went there a couple years ago and found the experience very moving. The museum on the third floor is filled with enlarged photographs depicted the immigration to the US via Ellis Island.

Be sure to take the first boat out (?8:30am in May) and plan to get to Battery Park at least 1 1/2 hours ahead to make the first boat, especially on a Saturday in May (the lines will be incredibly long). We went on a nice Saturday the beginning of March -- the first boat at that time left at 9:30am. We got there at 8:30, and had to wait in a long "will-call" line to get our pre-paid tickets for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island and ended up missing the first boat -- Although I think they leave every 1/2 hour.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise so far. We have no real plans for the Met, other than I love to visit, and I was thinking either a tour of the Masters or the Egyptian would be all we get in.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Your plan is full, but do-able.

I doubt you will have time to walk back to midtown via Central Park on the first day. When you say "arrive," I assume you mean your plane lanes at noon. Plan to get your bags and get into Manhattan -- 1 hr. What are you doing with your bags? Are you checking into your hotel? After lunch, it's now 2 or later. Go to the Met, spend a couple of hours and it will likely be sunset already. You might also like to know that on Friday and Sat nights at the Met they have a quintet that plays on the mezz level and you can get a drink at the bar. It's a nice way to cap off a day there (but then you will surely miss sunset!).

I find Ellis Island really fascinating and there is a lot to see. Don't be surprised if you are there for 3-4 hours or so. Across Broadway from Century 21 (near the WTC site) is a wonderful Middle Eastern restaurant called Alfanoose. It would be a good place for a bite if you are hungry.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM

While you're at Grimaldi's, walk up the hill and explore Brooklyn Heights if you have a little time (or to walk off the pizza!!) The neighborhood is great, and the view from the Promenade is stunning.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise about the Met. We will be traveling in May, so I believe sunset is around 8:15 or so. We will be carrying our bags on (airline employee!) and our flight arrives at 11:55 at LGA. We plan to check in at the hotel and then go straight to Grand Central for lunch and the subway. I figured we'd leave the Met around 5pm or so--just a nice feel for one exhibit and the beauty of the museum. I've contemplated dropping the Met and doing our Brooklyn pizza run the first afternoon instead, but I'd really like my dad to see the Met.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I agree with others who said plan for what you want, and know something might have to give -
I always find it helpful to map out some things beforehand so as not to waste time trying to figure it out when I get there -
like looking at the MET online and choosing what you would most like to see - I don't know if it is always open, but we have at times been able to go on the roof deck and the views of the park are gorgeous from there -

If you don't have time for all of Central Park, you could go ont he web site centralpark.com and look at the sites and perhaps choose an area that would most interest all of you - on one trip my mom was happy to walk around the Mall area - she loved the Literary Walk with the statues, etc and spending some time in that area made her happy enough on that trip.

I am partial to the Tenement Museum, esp if they are interested in Ellis Isl and following the story of immigration - the Confino Living History tour is my favorite and it is about one hour, after being to Ellie you may or may not choose to see the 20 minute film inside the main building, but the tour is fabulous and full of detail and 'makes you feel as if you were there' - I would suggest buying your tickets ahead of time though so you won't be disappointed if you get down there and the tours have filled - you can look at that on tenement.org for ticket info and times. - it's a perfect addition after seeing Ellis Island.

Bring comfortable walking shoes and have fun !
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow! The advise is absolutely great and much appreciated! Love the Brooklyn Heights idea. Call me goofy, but in all the times (just four or five) that we've been to Grimaldi's I've never "found" the promenade that I hear people speak of. Where do I find it from Grimaldi's?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM

I'm sure someone can give you exact directions, but when we spent some time there last fall, this is a link I used to find things, maybe it will be helpful to you -
http://nymag.com/visitorsguide/neigh...s/brooklyn.htm
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Ah! I see I didn't read carefully enough to see that you are coming in May. In that case, you are right that sunset will be later. If you will be here near the end of May, the bar (though sadly not the quintet) moves to the rooftop sculpture garden with an absolutely perfect view of Central Park. My husband intended to propose there, but lost his nerve when he realized we wouldn't be alone!