Geographically smart in New York

Jul 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Geographically smart in New York

So I am taking my first trip to New York in September and have decided on several areas of New York that I would like to see. However, I am trying to be geographically smart about what I see on what days. I am in New York for five days and am staying in Manhattan. Below you will find the list of places that I would like to visit during my stay. Could someone please help me organize my days? I don't want to waste any time by trekking around needlessly. I would like to plan things so that I see A, B, and C which are all in one area and then see D, E, and F another day. Any advice that you could provide me with would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Staten Island Fairy (Statue of Liberty)
China Town
Little Italy
Metropolitan Museum
Rockefeller Center
Empire State Building
Central Park
Fifth Avenue
Greenwich Village
Soho
John Lennon’s Memorial
Battery Park
Ellis Island
I would also like to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge
Jul 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
GoTravel

Staten Island Ferry
Ellis Island (you can skip this if you are doing the Staten Island Ferry or skip the SIF if you are doing the Ellis Island Statue of Liberty Tour)
Battery Park
Brooklyn Bridge

China Town
Little Italy
The Village
East Village
Soho

Empire State Building
Rockefeller Center
Fifth Avenue (actually runs almost the entire length of Manhattan but I'm guessing you want to see the Midtown/UES of Fifth Avenue)

John Lennon's Memorial (inside Central Park)
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Fifth Avenue

Jul 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM

Well, here's how they group together:

Staten Island Ferry (Statue of Liberty)
Battery Park
Ellis Island
Brooklyn Bridge
Chinatown
Little Italy

are all downtown in Lower Manhattan and would work together. However, if you are going to Ellis Island, you are taking the ferry from Battery Park that also goes to Statue of Liberty. Personally, I would skip getting out at the statue (you will have a great view from the boat) and just go straight to Ellis Island.

The Staten Island Ferry is then redundant (same view). And, arguably, so is walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (although that could be an experience in and of itself). Little Italy is only a few blocks and is surrounded by Chinatown, so the 2 could be done together.

All this being said, I'd spend one day visiting Ellis Island, seeing the Statue of Liberty and wandering around Chinatown/Little Italy.

Greenwich Village and SoHo are near each other and can be seen in one day. Depending on what you want to do there, this could be a whole day or part of a day.

The Metropolitan Museum and John Lennon's Memorial are IN Central Park, so I would plan to spend some time walking around there, then heading south down Fifth Avenue. You will pass Rockefeller Center on the way. Depending on how much time you spend in the museum, this could be a full day, too.

The Empire State Building is further south.
Jul 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM

You should get a map and plot them out as well. Also, if you plan o doing a lot of walking, keep in mind that 20 north/south blocks = 1 mile and the east/west block are longer.
Jul 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
rqf

Sites grouped by number should be done on the same day

1 Staten Island Fairy (Statue of Liberty)
1 Battery Park
1 Ellis Island
1 Also like to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge
2 Rockefeller Center
2 Empire State Building
2 Fifth Avenue

3 Metropolitan Museum
3 Central Park
3 John Lennon’s Memorial

4 China Town
4 Little Italy
4 Greenwich Village
4 Soho
Jul 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Neopolitan

I can't believe no one has made a single crack about the "Staten Island fairy".

Jul 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM

I heard that he lives in the East Village now.

Happy?
Jul 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
GoTravel

How can he if he's part of the Bridge and Tunnel crowd?

He just turns tricks in the East Village.

Jul 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

You guys are so funny! Thank you so much for the info, it is definitely appreciated! Now that I know where I am going, does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants? I have been reading a lot of threads about this and have heard mixed reviews on the following restaurants:

Balthazar
Gotham Bar and Grill
Gramercy Tavern
Nobu
River Café
“21” Club
Babbo
Grimaldi's Pizza

What do you all think? I am going to New York with my boyfriend he is 27 and I am 25. I would love to know about some hip and trendy place but also some little holes in the wall that are great. Please advise; your opinions are most appreciated. Thanks!
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:32 AM

All of the restaurants you listed, except Grimaldi's, are high-end restaurants that require advance reservations. Is that the kind of experience you're looking for?
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM

Yes, these are tough reservations unless you lpan on eating at 4 or 10. Check menupages.com to view menus and read user comments.

For hole in the wall places, the E. Village is loaded with them, some very good.
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

No, I don't need anything high end. All of those restaurants that I listed are the ones that seemed to be the most talked about. However, what I am really interested in is great atmosphere and food and someplace that will be memorable for my boyfriend and I. I guess I would really like to have a NY experience. By that I mean, I don't want to eat at place that I can find in California.
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

MYNYC - great place in East Village...any specifics?
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:47 AM
GoTravel

On your list, Gramercy Tavern and Babbo are my two favorites.

While I love the 'power broker' atmosphere and the burgers at 21 Club, it is very expensive so I'd spend that money at GT or Babbo instead.

Add Daniel to your list.

Jul 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM

Daniel? GoT -- she said she wasn't interested in high-end.
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so here is another list of restaurants that I am interested in. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Samba-Le
Suba
Cafe Mogador
Esperanto

I love dark, romantic, atmospheric type place that have great/unique food. I do not want to end up at a place like Applebees! I am open to all suggestions high end to take out. I am sure that one of the days that i am in NY I will be looking for a cute little cafe/bistro to get some take out and go hang out in Central Park.
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM

e. village palce (that come to mind)
Lavagna
Le Tableau
26 Seats
I Coppi
Casimir
Mustache
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM

I go to NYC a lot, and try to pick up "New York" or "Time Out: New York" to read their latest restaurant reviews to see what's hot and what's not. A lot of the places on your first list are sort of NYC cliches full of tourists.
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM

(apologies if this is already mentioned in someone's answer)
I just wanted to point out that while The Met (museum) and Strawberry Field (John Lennon memorial) are both in Central park, they are not right near each other!
The Met is on the east side,(and really outside the park as the entrance is not actually IN it)between 80 - 84th streets.
Strawberry Field is on the west, just of of Central park West, at 72nd street. If you are planning on walking through the park anyway, it's doable, but you might also consider taking a crosstown bus (and walking or transferring the rest of the way)
OR you could do Strawberry Field on another day--it may be out of the way from some of your other stops, but there are several subway stations nearby to get you almost anywhere in the city.
You could also spend one day at The Met in morning, then take a bus down 5th Avenue (past mansions, museums, seeing the edge of Central park) to Rockefeller Center area. If you've been on your feel a long time at the museum, this is a nice 20 minute ride
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM

anyone else wonder if OP is looking at a map as she reads this advice - or has looked at one yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO