Elegant Oceanfront Dining West Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with our family on Maui in May. One evening, we would like to have a special dinner, oceanfront at a lovely spot. Even though we've been to Maui a few times, we have not found the type spot we are looking for for this occasion. We would love to dine oceanfront in a lovely, open-air, upscale restaurant.

We are staying in the Kaanapali area and are open to traveling as far north as Kapula, but are not interested in driving down to Wailea.

Of course, we want the food to be wonderful, but we would also like the atmosphere to be memorable as well. I've researched this subject to the best of my ability and a couple of restaurants seem to be possibilities. One is Merriman's Kapalua and the other is Point O in Lahaina.

I know it can be very windy in Kapalua which could hinder a lovely outdoor dining experience, but it looks like Merriman's has open wall indoor dining with lovely ocean views. It seems to be upscale and it might be a good fit for this occasion.

Point O seems to be very oceanfront, but I can't discern if it is too touristy, too ordinary, or if it's in a noisy part of Lahaina. It appears that eating outside is preferable to indoors to experience the feeling of eating oceanfront.

What we are seeking may not exist on that part of the island.

Has anyone experienced both venues who might be able to offer insight as to comparisons? Or if you know of another place that is right on the ocean and fits the criteria I have mentioned, I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

I know restaurants choices are so personal, but I hope I've given enough info for you to see what our family is seeking. We aren't really interested in a typical/ordinary spot for this evening. Thank you...
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Point O?

Are you talking about Pacific Os? If so, its good but not in Merrimans league. If special and oceanfront is what you want, Merrimans is the choice. However, I doubt you would be disappointed with an evening at Pacific Os, and it would be much less
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM

I can only speak of the magical atmosphere at Merriman's, the food, service all home runs. Book a table before sunset to enjoy the whole show. Or go early and have a pre dinner cocktail outside before being seated. One of our all time favourite dining experiences on the islands, and we've had many.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Ahhh, yes, FrankS, you caught a wee hours typo. I did mean Pacific O's...thanks for the input!
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 04:32 PM

My pleasure.

Pacific O is very good and not touristy at all. The visitor center in Lahaina has a buy one get one half off coupons for lunch. It's a nice stop on your last day on the way to the airport at least for us
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 03:44 PM

I heartily second the suggestion to eat at Merriman's for a special dinner. It is upscale, and the service is wonderful. Sunset should be about 6:45 so plan to arrive prior to that. It could be a little breezy, but temperatures will be warm so a shawl or light sweater is all you need to take with you.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 07:27 PM

Mama's Fish House!! We celebrated our 40th Anniversary last November and have been to Mama's numerous times. I told them it was for our anniversary and they made it very special for us.

Mama's is near Paia on the north shore so not West Maui but is so worth the drive.

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:14 AM

I agree with bettyk. Mama's Polynesian atmosphere could seem somewhat manufactured, but there's no other place like it on Maui, and the food and service are excellent.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Merriman's. Hard to beat that setting, but the one time we had dinner there, we were disappointed for various reasons from the time we walked in until we left.

Haven't been to Pacific O other than to walk by, but on that basis alone, if the choice is limited to there or Merriman's, give Merriman's a try. Hopefully you'll have better luck than we did.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input! I believe we are going with Merriman's for this special occasion.

FrankS, you mentioned Pacific O's for lunch for departure day. I like that suggestion and do have that restaurant on our itinerary for another lunch.

But we would like to stop somewhere for a good lunch on our way to the airport. I've never tried leaving luggage in the car and stopping for lunch. We typically find some place near the hotel and leave our bags with the concierge. Do you feel it's safe to leave 2 vans full of luggage in Lahaina town during the lunch hour?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like you're all set but another option to throw out there -The Banyon Tree at the Ritz Carlton is also very good.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Any reason not to consider Mama's for lunch on departure day?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Great place imo. Please let us know how you like it. We've not been to their Maui location, but wonderful luck at their original restaurant on the Big Island. They use Parker Ranch stock, so steaks are usually best choices. Also some of the best local/organic veggies (corn etc) we've had anywhere. But if you're looking for seafood more than steak I'd pick another option.

If you reconsider Waimea, the best dinner we've had on Maui was the Treehouse Experience at the Hotel Wailea. Food, service, setting and tab amounts are all beyond belief, but imo it's perfect for a one-time/special splurge.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM

Do you feel it's safe to leave 2 vans full of luggage in Lahaina town during the lunch hour?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM

If you can't/won't do Mama's for dinner then please have lunch there before you leave. It is convenient to the airport and it should be safer leaving your luggage. You may want to make a reservation if you do decide to go.