ELAN SCHOOL,POLAND MAINE

Search

ELAN SCHOOL,POLAND MAINE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELAN SCHOOL,POLAND MAINE

I have a sixteen year old son who has been in the Elan School for the past two weeks, is there anybody that can share any information with me regarding the school and the surrounding area?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Someone recently posted something similar:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...xt=elan+school
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am trying to reach out to them. Thank you for the response.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:44 AM

The Elan school has quite a reputation here, mostly because of the Kennedy kid that went there. I trust that you did know that its reputation is for troubled kids. Poland is a fairly central location for mountains, rivers, lakes.... There are lots to do. What are your interests?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:49 AM

I can't help you on the school but I can on the area.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Have you checked out their website? It's www.elanschool.com. (And it says on the home page that the yearly tuition is just under $45,000. Yikes!!)

But I have to admit I'm a little confused by your question. Wouldn't you already have found out all about the school if you have a child who has already been there two weeks? Is there something in particular you wish to know?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

I, like many other parents out there have a son who has been on a downward spiral and floundering (academically and behavioraly) yes I have checked out the website and am aware of the tution, I am seeking firsthand information from either a parent of a child who is or has been a student there, or perhaps maybe a former student can share some info. on it. And yes I am aware that Michael Skakel (convicted of murder of Martha Moxley) and nephew of Ethel Kennedy attended the school over twenty years ago.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM
jtp

Kc15 - hre are a few ideas - The Chief of Police is : Michael J. Chitwood,
Clarkson Woodward is Chief of Human Resources, Lieutenant Anthony Ward handles Community Affairs, Sergeant Daniel Young handles community policing - they all can be reached @ 207-874-8601 - they may answer your questions candidly or link you to someone who will. I was a little surprised at their web site to not find a juvenile concerns officer, that would have been the ideal route to go.
Here is their web site : http://www.ci.portland.me.us/police/ppd.htm
Good luck! My husband spent 20 years working with juveniles, it's not easy!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:07 PM

i just think it's odd to be seeking this information on a travel board, not that looking for others with similar situations and experiences is odd, just that you might be looking in the wrong place.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM

kc -
As a parent of 7, my heart goes out to you. Hope everything works out. I don't know anything about the school but the area is quiet, rural and beautiful. Good luck.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:30 AM

Oh, sorry I wasn't much help, was I. I know many private schools post alumni. Maybe Elan does the same. Good luck at any rate. I do hope you enjoy your trip to Maine.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:33 AM
rc5

i was once a resident at elan a couple of years ago and graduated from ther. I happen to be there when the houses were not doing so good but i have alot of respect for the place and of course of the staff if you want to know more e- mail me at [email protected] because i wonte check this site much.
If anyone is interested in there health please go to www.symmetrydirect.com/rcooke.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM

This website is not the best forum for you unless you'd like to know that there's a super 8 motel off the maine turnpike and the staff could give you all that info when your child gets to visit. I'll tell you the program has undergone many changes throughout the yrs. check out elanalum.com or one of the survivors sites to learn more about what others think. you'll also communicate w/ the staff from time2time. its always taken a very tough person to graduate. good luck
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Based on the post of some alums from there, it may take toughness, but not alot of brains.