Eating like the locals in Ft. Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting Ft. Lauderdale over Memorial Day weekend. We'd love to find some restaurants the locals like...no chains, nothing too touristy...maybe some nice, fresh seafood. We'll have a car and are staying at Lago Mar. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Neopolitan

You want to go where the locals go? Last Sunday we ate at Tropical Acres on Griffin Road, just west of I-95. It's been there for something like 50 years or more. It's essentially a steak house, where the steaks are under $20 -- and make Outback look pathetic. The place was all locals and has waiters and waitresses who have been there since it opened. There is a piano player (think Theme from the Apartment, Moon River, and Alley Cat). There were people in jeans and others in mink stoles. I felt like I was back in the 60's. It's also huge and seats 475. There was a wait for tables, but of course it was Mother's Day.

Old May 18th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We always go to Himmarshee when we visit my nephew. Fantastic food.

Himmarshee Bar & Grille
A menu changing daily features fresh seafood with Asian influences, along with beef, pastas, salads, and desserts such as the chocolate torte.
Address: 210 Southwest 2nd Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Telephone: 954-524-1818
Fax: 954-524-1813

Open/Close: MON-THU 11:30 am-10 pm.
FRI 11:30 am-11 pm.
SAT 5:30 pm-11 pm.
SUN 4 pm-9 pm.

Old May 18th, 2006, 03:59 AM

There's the Aruba Beach Cafe, where Commercial Blvd. meets the ocean. A laid back, tropical atmosphere. Great food.

Also very good is the Old Florida Seafood House, 1414 NE 26 St., Wilton Manors. It's very much a locals place as it's in a strip mall. But a nice atmosphere and delicious food.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:21 AM

We were just at Aruba Beach last night, and I have to say I was disappointed. I adore their beach atmosphere, but food is ok IMO...if you go, order burgers and such. Canyon is to die for IMO. Limoncello(one of my faves) near Himmarshee Bar & Grill(very good too). Samba room is wonderful. Franco & vinny's, great Philly style Italian. Il Mulino good Italian. Taverna Opa funplace with good Greek food and great location. Want more recs, let me know. Judy, the "local" ;-).
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Umberto's on Commercial Blvd. is my favorite neighborhood style italian restaurant. They are heavy on the seafood and light on the pocket. When you walk in and see tables with older men drinking wine and speaking Italian then you know that they are doing something right.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Judy the local -- what I'd love is a place where we can get delicious, fresh seafood. Doesn't have to be fancy.

I appreciate your help
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Rustic Inn,if you like crabs, check out their web site for coupons. Catfish Dewey's for great fried catfish and hush puppies. They are NOT in any way shape or form, upscale ! ;-)
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Some of the places that we have enjoyed on our last 2 trips:
15th Street Fisheries - somewhat touristy but fun views and good food and excellent service. Ask for a table by the window.
Cap's Place - good fish and getting to this place is fun. It has its' own launch.
Bravo Italiano - good Italian with excellent service
Islamorado Fish Co - good fish and good value. Visit the fishing hall of fame next door.
Ambry German Restaurant - excellent value and excellent German food.
Rustic Inn is a good place for lunch