Eastern Caribbean mood music?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going on our first cruise soon and it'll be our first time in the Caribbean. Our stops are San Juan, PR., St. Thomas, Sint Martin, and Nassau, Bahamas. What music should we be listening to? I don't remember any Elvis "Blue Bahamas" songs. Would Dutch folktunes be right for St. Martaan? As you can see, I really need your suggestions!

Thank you.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM

ajcolorado:
Check out the TTOL website. They have 'regulars' as well as residents there who can give you great advice!

Also, you could do a search on their site...I know alot of people are fans of Quito's and Foxey. There are others...there are websites to purchase their recordings, etc. But don't forget Jimmy Buffet and Kenny Chesney!

Enjoy! Belle.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Is soka music Eastern Caribbean? How about some steel drum? it will get to you after a short while but definitely a mood setter.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:04 AM

Ayyy yi yi.

AJ, you should have posted over on the Caribbean forum. You guys are scaring me...

The music of the Caribbean from the Bahamas south is reggae, dancehall and soca.

In PR, you will also find salsa and reggaeton - a rap/reggae mix.

St Maarten is a Dutch island, but the people who live there are of African and West Indian descent and listen to reggae (and dancehall) as well. (You've given me visions of people in dirndls and clogs and lederhosen and braids dancing on the beach...)

My guess is that the house band on the ship will be playing that watered-down version of Caribbean music that includes stuff like "Hot Hot Hot" and "Yellow Bird".

If you want to listen to TRUE contemporary Caribbean music, get off the ship in St Thomas, go to the flea market, stop at one of the vendors with a big boom box with a bunch of CD's and tell the guy you want the latest.

Throw around some names like Yellow Man, Elephant Man, Vybes Kartel and Twista so he'll think you know what you are talking about.

For a much kinder and gentler introduction to Caribbean music, buy some CD's by Burning Spear or Bob Marley. Bob Marley and 'old'school' reggae (and ska) are the basis for almost all of today's music in the region.

To Caribbean music purists, Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffett are not considered to be included in the genre, but I know they are very popular and many enjoy their music. (It's just not considered 'authentic.')

Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:47 AM

I would think that Putameyo records would have a good Carribean anthology cd available, I know they've done a great job on Brazilian, French cafe, Zydeco, etc,etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Diana: I don't think anyone here would construe my recommendation of Chesney or Buffet as being "authentic Carribean", whatever THAT is! As you indicate, Carribean music if very varied, a blend of several types of music! But, like you said, they ARE fun and popular!:->

...But Foxey and Quito ARE authentic(meaning they are from the Carribean)and many enjoy their music!Belle

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM

aj: You can purchase Quito's music at theislandplace.com. Belle
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Yes, both Quito Rhymer of Tortola and Foxy (of Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke fame) are a wonderful intro to the type of local music you can find on most islands. I've been fortunate to see both Foxy and Quito perform, as well as Bankie Banx on Anguilla and some other lesser-known but locally-popular performers.

Nearly all of the islands we have traveled to have one or more local bands or performers who offer their CD's for purchase and are of varying degrees of talent.

imho, there's nothing quite so quintessentially-Caribbean as venturing away from the resort and checking out a local band in a local bar and experiencing the island's culture in all its amazing facets.

The manufactured experiences at so many of the resorts are a great intro to the music, but getting out and about and seeing the entertainment in their home venues makes for an unforgettable vacation memory.