East Village restaurant

Search

East Village restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
East Village restaurant

I'm looking for a restaurant near First Avenue and 10th Street for dinner with a group of friends. I'm assuming the deli on Avenue B where I used to get my pastrami sandwich when I went to school at PS 61 on 12th Street in 1957 is out of business. Probably a little nicer than that would be good too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We like Barbone on Ave B. Duck ravioli with red wine reduction is amazing.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Deli is gone.

I live in the East Village. Here is a list of places most of which are in the neighborhood:

Unless otherwise stated the restaurants are inexpensive to moderately expensive

Indian-Brick Lane-Banjara, Mitali, Brick Lane, Saravanaa Bhavan. Brick lane great lunch buffet.

Inexpensive Italian- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri) Great Value

Twainese Bao-The Baohaus

Defonte’s-Italian sandwiches especially meatball and potato and egg. Tastes like old Brooklyn

Burgers-Black Iron ( also have wonderful onion rings and veggie fries), Paul’s (local divey spot), Corner Bistro (on everyone’s list, zoo on weekends), Bad Burger

Pork sandwiches-Porchetta (that is all they offer and limited seating)

Medium priced Italian-Cacio e Pepe, Gnocco, Supper (cash only), Luzzos (Wood burning pizza oven), Inoteca, Perbeco, La Lavanga, Le Zie, Barbone

Inexpensive Eastern European- Veselka,

French Bistro- Casimir, Lucien (more expensive)

Greek-Pylos (little more expensive)

Inexpensive seafood-Bait and Hook

Tapas- Tia Pol, Nai, Café Mono (more expensive)

Dessert-Veniero's, DeRobertis for the frozen lemon thing and tortonis.

Brunches-Five Points, Blue Ribbon Bakery, City Bakery (18th off 5th), Cafecito (Ave C), Clinton Street Bakery (our favorite but must go during the week, weekend is a zoo)

Pizza whole pies-Motorino, Lombardi's, Gruppo,

Pizza by the slice-Artichoke (14th Between First and Second) Bizarre service with a line because the pizza is good and the management is goofy

Hole in the wall-Stage (next to Stomp) great cheap home made soups

French fires-Pomme Frites

Seafood-Mary’s Fish Camp (cramped, no reservations) Luke’s Lobster (just lobster rolls, limited seating) Aquagrill (very expensive)

Ice Cream-Cones on Bleecker, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundaes (East 10th), Grom (Italian chain), VanLeewen

Chinatown-Big Wong. Joe’s Ginger, NY Noodletown

Dim Sum-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn, Nom Wah on Doyers.

Jewish Delis-2nd Ave Deli, Katz’s (These are expensive for sandwiches but worth every bite)

Turkish-Turkish Kitchen (Very good values are the daily prix fixe lunch and Sunday buffet)

Expensive but great prix fixe lunches-Gotham, Tocqueville,
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Since you mention a deli, are you looking for something high-end or cheap? The East Village now has both.

For example, if you could book far enough in advance, you could get the fried chicken dinner Momofuku Noodle Bar, which is one of the most highly prized reservations in NYC, and it falls somewhere in the middle of the range between cheap and expensive, downscale and upscale (but exceedingly trendy). Momofuku Ssam Bar is also very popular but not usually as hard to get into as Noodle Bar.

I have often eaten at Cucina di Pesce on the low end. It's a simple Italian restaurant on East 4th that's fun but decidedly not trendy or upscale.

I'm also very fond of Shabu Tatsu, but I'm not sure if that would be your thing. But I think they do have one table that can squeeze in up to 6 people.

Apiary is underappreciated, I think. Prune is really popular, but it's down on East 1st. I'm not sure how big a group they can accommodate.

If you want to try something a bit different Maharlika is a Filipino restaurant and somewhat different. Food is pretty good, but again it's very small and might not be able to accommodate a very large group.

Dirt Candy is exceptionally good, but it's vegetarian and may be difficult to get without much notice.

But make a reservation. That's an extremely popular area for dining.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be submitting them to the committee. Just mentioned the deli for nostalgia's sake. I used to go there by myself when I was in first grade. Looking for something a little less casual now, but in the low and moderate range.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM

We rally enjoyed Barbone this past weekend.