estandby upgrade

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
estandby upgrade

I recently booked two rooms at a hilton brand hotel, using the hilton website. I will be traveling with my elderly mother and staying 3 nights and booked 2 rooms and planned to call the property to request adjoining rooms. At the end of the reservation process I was offered an "estandby upgrade". Basically, if I check the box for any of several upgrade options, if that option is available when I arrive at the property, I will get the upgrade and pay the price attached to the upgrade I chose. "Adjoining room" was one of the options and it would tack $25 per night to my reservation. So, $75 for adjoining rooms that otherwise may be available anyway, and free. Other options were, "away from the elevator" and "high floor" as well as actual upgrades to rooms.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I think I will take my chances and not pay too increase them.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM

Are you a member of their loyalty program? If so, you may get a better shot at getting adjoining rooms. If not, join.

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for any of those "upgrades". When I book, if their is a place to put requests or comments, I include high floor, away from elevator. I have those listed as preferences in my profile in my loyalty account at the hotels where I stay.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Geez - the hotel equivalent of baggage check fees!
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:40 PM

I did a suite with hilton and it came with a king size bed and sofa couch. I paid the pay it now price but them it came up with an standby offer to get two double beds for 10 bucks IF available and I said yes. I got to the hotel and asked about that. It was only on the higher room rate and I had already paid so wasn't available. Makes no sense. It would have been 50.00 to upgrade to two doubles so we kept the king size. Three females and two shared the bed. We were shopping and going to a college game so we really didn't care but was worth a shot. I am a hilton honors member.