East Coast family vacation:

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family wants to take a special vacation to celebrate my parents 35th anniversary. We're all spread out in the metro NY area, so not around here. It has to be by car so, we're thinking either north- like Cape Cod, or south- like SC or NC- definetly beach though.
We'll be a group of 6 adults & 2 babies, so I'm thinking we'll just rent a house. I'd love suggestions since we've never done anything like this before.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh- forgot to mention we want to go either July or August.
Thanks.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM

You might want to consider the Outer Banks of North Carolina. They have lots of house rentals and a nice beach. I particularly like the area north of Duck to just north of Corolla.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Would also recommend a house in Duck, North Carolina. Have been out there a few times, beautiful.

If you are thinking Cape Cod, I loved Rhode Island more. Stayed on Block Island and it was GREAT! You can also take a ferry over to Marthas Vineyard or Nantucket.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Do you want a house for a week or longer? Most rentals require a week. What is your budget?

If you have not done this before, you may not know that you need to start looking ASAP, as decent rental homes for July and August will be gone by Christmas. You might search "Cape Cod" and "Outer Banks" here and see what comes up, people have posted on this before, esp for the Outer Banks area. Also run a Google search.

You might also consider a resort hotel which would offer activities like a kids club, babysitting, laundry, meals, etc which may be more of a "vacation" for the wives and mothers than all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc involved in a rental home. You can also do just a long weekend at a resort hotel and don't have to commit to a whole week. There are places on Cape Cod, not to sure about the Carolinas. There are also places in the mountain areas in New York State, PA and Virginia.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Are you sure you want to rent a house together? It often sounds nicer than it is. Do the non-baby-owners want to hear screaming babies at night (or any other time) with no means of escape? Do you want to unearth old grudges about who is doing the most work and who is lazy? Do you want to cook and clean on vacation?

I have read here that many families or groups can do this successfully - and you alone know you family - just make sure you consider living arrangements before you take the rent-a-house route.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:38 AM

This question has come in varying ways before (size of family, number of people etc.) and one suggestion is always a cruise. I know it may sound yuck (and I've not done one myself) but it's apparently a fabulous way for everyone to be together, not have cooking and shopping and cleaning duties, kids have things to do, everyone gets to eat together (if they want). I have several friends who've done this kind of trip and they've been surprised at how good a time they have. Not sure what destination would be good at that time of year though.

Other thoughts, Nantucket is spectacular and you can find a 1 week rental there. It is expensive though.

Not sure why you say not around metro NY and yet it has to be by car. You can now find large 1 week rentals in the Hamptons.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Move fast !! - esp if you want to rent, or even for enough rooms, enough nights in popular destination lodgings - most rentals on the islands that would be large enough to hold your total begin around 3500 for the week and go up as high as 5,000 depending on amenities and size you want.
You'll need car, ferry rezzies in advance one they open up to the public around Feb, need to match those up with your rental dates, etc ( which can often mean you can't get the car over the day you want or you have to take the ferry at 7am or 9pm to do it) so unless you are ready to move asap on a summer MV or Nantucket option, i would say stick to mainland and a day trip over to Block, MV or Nantucket - so stick to Cape or Rhode Island and my biggest question would be "how MUCh beach??" do the parents celebrating theri 35th want to spend every day on the beach? If so, that 's one thing, if not - then I would tend towards Rhode Island - Newport area/ (which has lovely options for lodging - (Newport Bay Club and Hotel gives you small full kitchens as they are condo/time share and there are full service hotels with pools (goat island) and home rentals) but for all the age spans, Rhode Island/Newport area offers charm, beaches, but also waterfront with lots to do for different ages, museums, galleries, shopping, the mansion tours, cruises on the harbor, so maybe more for everyone to do, especially if you don't luck out with perfect beach weather 24/7.