Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Early Jan skiing for intermediate skiers - Breck or other?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - We’re flying into Denver and considering Breckenridge for 4 days of skiing (for the 2 sons and DH). They are all solid Intermediate skiers. Last year we spent a week in Innsbruck area and they did fine there but they are not experts by any means.

Looking at Breck because I love the idea of being near a town where I can occupy myself, although I would love snow shoeing as well.

Open to suggestions and grateful for them.
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 02:07 AM

Breck is great. Copper Mountain is also a good mountain but without the town. But Frisco is just down the road and is a cute little town too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 07:10 AM

Breck is a good choice with a wide range of slopes. Historically I ski at Breck most of the time since '63. It has a lot of ski-in condos that is handy at the end of day. We always look for lodging along 4 o'clock run and or Snowflake lift. There has been a massive reworking of the base parking lots so I not sure how that looks. Breck has a good free bus system so it is easy to get around and leave the car parked. Break is a real town with many good restaurants. Copper is a smaller ski area but probably has the best separation of skiers. All green slopes are clustered in one area, blues in the middle, and blacks to the other side. And for four days, Copper would work well also.

So far we are off to a good start snow wise as we have had a lot of early snow. Hopefully it will continue.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 01:31 AM

A feature at Copper Mountain your boys might enjoy is the Woodward Center. It is a training area for practicing trick skiing/boarding or just jumping into pits filled with foam. There is a free shuttle bus in that area also.

https://www.coppercolorado.com/woodw...ences/the-barn
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 06:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My vote is for "other". I hope you are not considering Denver as a "town". As someone who snow shoes, but doesn't ski, I like several places in Oregon. A good place to fly into is Portland (PDX). There are 2 great places to ski on Mt. Hood. If you want to come over the Cascades, you can ski and snowshoe at HooDoo or Mt. Bachelor. There is a good snowshoe and X-Country ski area on the way out to Mt. Bachelor from Bend Oregon. Mt. Bachelor also has a snow tubing hill that is very popular.
If you have your heart set on Colorado, check out to daily ski train that runs up to Winter Park/Fraser.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:23 AM

Breckenridge just can get really crowded. I presume she is referring to Breckenridge as the "town", not Denver where is pretty far away, you couldn't be hanging out in Denver while your family was in Breckenridge, that's all. But it's the logical choice as Copper and Keystone aren't real towns, nor is Vail to me, it's a resort, but it's bigger. Copper and Keystone don't have much in their "villages". And you can easily get to Frisco for a change by free bus.

Breckenridge has a lot of fairly easy blue runs.
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 04:15 AM

Near Breck and Copper is Dillon where there are loads of outlet shops to hang out in.Get your guys to take a day of lessons. Their skiing will improve exponentially--and they will get to the head of the lines for the lifts.

Last edited by Gretchen; Dec 19th, 2022 at 04:18 AM.