Dublin International Customs / Connections

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and HELP anyone , please. First time to DUBLIN. Arrive June 24th @ 06:30 a.m. on U.S. Air. My family and I are touring Ireland and England. All have valid passports and will not be carrying anything to declare. We need to go straight to London , upon our Dublin arrival. Can get a BRITISH AIR flight at 08:45 a. m. ( Dub to Lon HR ) or a 10:45 a. m. Of course we prefer the 08:45 a.m. Questions :
1) Will we be required to go through Customs / Immigration -- IF we are not leaving the airport and are only connecting there to go straight to London Heathrow ?
2) Customs / Immigration or not , would we be safe in booking the BA flight to London for 08:45 a. m. or better to take the 10:45 a.m. ?
*** I am working off the assumption that we do NOT change Airports in Dublin to take a B.A. flight to London ???
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Why did you post this on the US board when your destination is not in the US?

Airports have codes - if your planned route is into DUB and to London out of DUB, then it's the same airport. If any of those three letters are different, it's a different airport.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 04:16 PM

Why are you buying this on different tickets?

If it's a single ticket the airline i s responsible for getting you to your destination. If it's separate tickets and you miss you flight you are considered no-shows and will have to buy new tickets for whatever flight available at walk-up prices.

If everything goes as scheduled and you stay airside (make sure you can do this by checking the airport website for transfers or similar) you should be OK. Also check to see where your arrival and departure gates will be in relation to each other.

But - if there is any one of a number of problems (delayed departure of first fight, delay at DUB - such as no gate available, bad weather, etc) then you are screwed.

DUB is quite a small airport - but - it depends on how risk averse you are.

And you should post this on europe board where people who make connections through DUB all the time can provide more recent info.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 04:09 AM

You should be ok with the 8:45. Those overnight flights are normally always on time. You will go through immigration and customs getting your passport checked and then through security once more before boarding your flight to London. Are you doing carry on? If not you have to pick up your bags and then re check them with British air. I am assuming your booked two separate flights and this is not one ticket? I never check bags so not 100% positive on this.
You will stay in the same airport. Dublin is a small airport.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

1) Sorry, should have posted EUROPE ( first timer mistake ).
2) Yes -- TWO separate flights .
3) Thanks to all three who replied !

Happy Travels !
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 06:34 AM
J62

Well, the good news is that USAir (Now = AA), and BA are both oneworld alliance members and you will be able to check your bags through to your final destination even if this is on two separate tickets.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...on/checking-in

Personally, I would be ok with the 8:45 in this case, all factors considered.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks J62 --that helps -- and yes will definitely remember to check bags through. Have a great day !
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Just for info, he posted this over in the Europe forum and got one reply, mine.

Wayne, you really should be ok with the early flight and J62 looked and they are alliance members so even better. When you check in at the airport in the states ask your ticket agent to check them through to Heathrow for you.