Dropping pants at security

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through security at SeaTac last week. It was a real mess, this is the first time I ever flew through there and my last if I can ever help it. It took about 1.5 hours to pass through security.

Anyway, I go through the metal detector and the buzzer goes off. I get a preliminary wanding and the TSA guy regrets to inform me that I have "501 style jeans". 501 is a Levi's trademark and I'm not wearing Levi's jeans but the fly enclosure does use buttons so I assume that's what he means. Doesn't a zipper have about as much metal? Why are button flys an issue? So he sends me behind a screen and calls for another TSA guys to witness the behind screen investigation. He then asks me to unbutton my pants and pull them down so he can fully see what's behind the button fly. So I'm standing there with my pants around my knees and he very professionally checks me out. What got me thinking was, sometimes I wear jeans and go commando, should I warn the TSA guy in this situation and I wonder what his response would be? I've been through security about 20 times in various countries this year and have never had my pants around my knees during the security check.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:20 AM

The smart thing to do is not wear those jeans when you travel by air.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM

This is a joke, right? With your pants around your knees, how could they see anything behind the buttons? And I read in the paper last week that someone dropped their pants at an airport security check, wasn't wearing underwear & was arrested for indecent exposure!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
emd

This is exactly why your mother told you to always wear clean underwear.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:46 AM

I am rolling on the floor here!

2 years ago I was in LAX and there were 2 Japanese gentlemen in front of me in the security line. Other males in front of us were removing their belts and putting them with their carryons. Seeing this the 2 gents in front of me figured this was what was expected and whipped their belts off.

Well, the older of the men (lacking the posterior of many Americans) ended up with his dress pants around his knees while we stood there. He did recover rather quickly.

I asked the security guy why everyone was removing their belts...he grinned and said he had no idea!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, this is no joke. If he hadn't brought the witness back there, I would have questioned his (TSA guy) motives.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM

Here's an easy suggestion - when you fly, skip the 501's and wear a pair of new underwear.

If by chance you find yourself unexpectedly traveling with no advance warning and no advance plannning, then politely explain to the TSA guy that you've gone Commando and say that "you guys must really turn the air conditioner up in here" to avoid any embarrasing snickering at your expense.

And DEFINATELY don't do what Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap did!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM

You just have to tell them the truth Loki.
I was travelling from Dallas to Miami. Wintertime in Dallas, so was wearing a jacket over a TShirt, spilt coffee on the shirt, took it off, zipped up jacket over my bra, figuring I could change into something after I got into the airport.No restrooms outside the terminal, so we go to security checks.

I am asked to take off the jacket, redfaced I had to explain my situation to the incredulous TSA,who was stifling her laughter. She did a secondary check with the metal detector thingy and let me go and presumably collapsed into giggles after I left.

Lesson learnt dress appropriately before you hit the security checks.