Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
favorite travel clothes

do you have a favorite travel outfit?
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM

What is most important to me is pants with a pocket that closes which is large enough for my wallet. I found a pair of pants at Lucy -- which is mostly workout wear -- but they have some with two zippered front pockets that will hold my wallet with the passport in it and it looks dressier than sweats -- can use it with a nice top for a dinner out at the destination. I want to be comfortable on a plane and I do not like putting my valuable papers or passport or credit cards through the x ray machine at the airport.

Before we had to remove jackets, I would look for one of those with a snal, velcro or zippered pocket. These worked very well on those long flights to Africa.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 07:14 AM

I'm old enough to have some memory of the days when people really dressed up to get on a plane. There was an episode of the old Andy Griffith Show on TV Land a few weeks ago. Aunt Bea had won a trip to Mexico and took a couple of her friends along. Not only did they get all dressed up for their plane trip, but Andy and Opie wore suits simply to take them to the airport and to pick them up on their return. Now THAT was a different era.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM

I still wear slacks and a sport coat whenever I fly. I do my share, or more than my share, of business flying.

The crap that comes on an airplane nowdays, and the stuff they're carrying is just grotesque.

Then again, I'm that person that always says thank you and please. I try to put myself in an FA's eyes and hope to make their travel experience better, as I know they will respond in kind.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM

<<I'm old enough to have some memory of the days when people really dressed up to get on a plane.>>

I remember my mother taking my brother and I on planes in the 60s. My mother was dressed like Jackie Kennedy (and looked just as good!) and we were in our "Sunday best!"

While part of me misses those days.....after living overseas for many years and spending more than my fair share of time on planes (usually in coach)....I am glad that I didn't feel obligated to wear a dress, hose, heels, gloves, and a hat!

I usually wear comfortable pants or a comfy skirt, a long-sleeved shirt (I always get cold), and shoes that easily slip off. I always had my sons wear long pants when we traveled internationally, but I let them wear shorts in the US. HOWEVER, the shorts must be nice shorts (no "athletic" shorts) and they must wear sneakers or other decent shoes...no flip flops.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM

I don't miss hat/gloves/stockings etc. but I do try to look decent--so I travel in black knit slacks/top/soft jacket or a long flowing skirt, soft top and jacket.

I usually travel to warm climates so end up wearing sandals on the feet and bring socks for the plane ride (or get some in amenity kit).

I bring a small microfiber messenger style bag for passport and wallet that I keep on me (taking a small microfiber wallet) and when I need to tuck it into my larger carry on purse/bag.

For frequent travel to Hawaii, lightweight slacks and aloha shirt.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM

My favourite travel outfit consists of a jeanskirt, a shirt, a sweater, a scarf in colder weather...

and boots.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm certainly not a slob, but I absolutely must be comfortable when I fly. My long haul comfort clothes consist of a pair of tailored hiking pants, a pima cotton short sleeved shirt, slip on shoes and a pashmina shawl. All dark colors, because I always manage to spill or get spilled upon.

My spouse wears the same type of pants, but insists on a button down shirt with a pocket big enough to hold our passports.

For short domestic flights, it's usually jeans.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM

I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and maybe a sweatshirt. If it is warm in both my origin and destination, I have been known to wear shorts. I don't dress up for work and I am not going to dress up just to get on an airplane. I dress the same whether in coach, business, or first. I don't find it impacts how I am treated or whether I get an upgrade.

FWIW, I almost always wear jeans to dinner, including Michelin-starred ones, unless it is specifically prohibited. Even then, the food better be worth it.

I look at it as, I'm paying, so I can wear what I want, as long as it is in good taste. And I see no reason why jeans and a clean t-shirt is in any poorer taste than a cheap suit (or even an expensive one for that matter).
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I do! I have this outfit that is made of a stretchy fabric (called 'slinky') that is comfy, stretchy, and heavy looking so it drapes nicely. My shirt is the same stuff. You could ball these up in a corner for a week and it still wouldn't be wrinkled. I always wear them for traveling, as they always look fresh, even after a transatlantic flight and 24 hours of travel
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
GreenDragon -

Care to share where one can get such an outfit? I'm currently in the Changi Airport on a 10 hour layover between Perth and Zurich and I'm going to be mighty wrinkled by the time I arrive at my destination in Switzerland some 18 hours from now.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM

I usually buy them off ebay But here are some sources:

http://amandafashion.com/about.html
http://www.melodyfashions.com/
http://www.rosannes.com/index.asp?Pa...TS&Category=87

If you search slinky clothes, or slinky travel, they usually come up. It's great stuff, I have about 6 pairs of black slacks, and a couple other colors, and about 6 tunics of the stuff. It's about all I wear while traveling, mix and match. I have a couple tops of burned out velvet that go well
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Pink leather pants... smooch
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most often I'm heading to a beach destination so I wear dark colored linen pants, printed cotton knit top, linen jacket, sandals or sneakers.

For Europe or cooler places I go with black knit pants, long sleeve cotton knit top, cardigan or jacket, comfy shoes or boots.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM

I live out of a suitcase on business travel. I (female over 50) wear black side-zip pants without pockets, a black or dark tee shirt, black or dark faux suede shirt, unlined soft jacket or tunic, low-heeled dressy black slip-on walking shoes, and a small nylon purse just large enough for wallet and cellphone and keys. I could go anywhere and do everything in this outfit. Favorite fabrics are polyester/rayon/spandex blends, faux suede (poly/spandex), nylon blends, and acetate slinky knits. The fabrics don't wrinkle, roll tightly, and dry quickly. I take off shoes and put on fleece socks on the plane and whenever I want to rest my feet. JC Penney and Chadwicks internet sales are great places to look for basics.