Reload this Page >

Driving up West Coast

Search

Driving up West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:28 PM
BongoBabe

Driving up West Coast

Has anyone driven from Mexico up to Canada via Pacific Coast Highway? I'm hoping to have 3 weeks to do this next year. Any suggestions as to time of year to do this, out of the way places on the way up?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Bob

BongoBabe,
Strongly suggest you begin driving from San Diego, not Mexico. Mexico is not a safe place to drive. Have a safe fun trip. Many things to see and do from SoCal to Canada.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:32 PM
xxx

In college, 3 of us drove from LA to Vancouver and back over a 10 day spring break. We didn't sleep much and spent a lot of time behind the wheel, but had a blast. Lots of stuff to see and do along the way.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:42 PM
Samantha

What are your interests? Seeing unusual sights? Would you like suggestions for good restaurants? Are you into camping? I can give you my opinions for part of the north coast of California, from around Ukiah to Crescent City.

I'll tell you that October through April isn't the greatest time in that area, weather-wise - 75% of the annual rainfall occurs during those months.
Sounds like you've got plenty of time to plan your vacation. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, since you plan to travel through 3 states. If you're wanting to take your time and see a lot of sights, it's good you're alloting 3 weeks to do it all.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:46 AM
BongoBabe

Bob - thanks for the caution. Will certainly take into account.

Samantha - My interests include anything outdoors: hiking, biking, will try kayaking. I'm not big on camping although that may change if I can talk a couple of friends into coming with me. I've never been to the West Coast, so any suggestions (restaurants, unusual sights, etc.) would be appreciated. I'll do the typical tourist scene, but those "hidden" spots are the more interesting things I'd go for. Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Rebecca

I've done that trip two times now. I live north of Seattle (hour from the Canadian border-which I go there all the time). I would say the best time would be in September-early to mid. WA, BC, OR, and CA are great at that time. Depending where you are going from in Mexico is may be the rainy season at that time. The summer would be good too...August maybe a little too hot in the southern places. Up here Sept is always the best. Sounds like fun-have a blast!!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:00 AM
kam

There really is no ideal time of year to do this because you will go such a great distance south to north. Probably May or early October would be best. You do know what a great distance you're talking about, right? The coast of California alone is about 1000 miles. And, is the trip one way or round trip? That will make a big difference. I would also start in San Diego or from north of LA since you sound as if you want outdoors activities. You can't do the whole trip via Pacific Coast Highway since it doesn't exist in some areas and up here in Northern CA, it's called Hwy 1. There was a book called "Driving the Pacific Coast, California" but it might be out of print by now. Author is Oberrecht. There's another about "22 days in California" that you could look for. Good luck.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:11 AM
John

We've been up and down the coast enough times that I feel like a trucker, but I've driven a number of overseas friends over the route, and it's great to witness their reactions as first timers to America's amazing left bank.

Asking for favorite places is fine, but you're looking at everything from San Diego beaches to Hollywood studios to street markets in Santa Barbara or Opera in San Francisco, never mind a thousand plus miles of ocean shore, the odd redwood forest or sand dune, lighthouses, great rivers, Space Needles and Peace Arches, and on and on.

My recommendation would be to get a couple of basic reference books covering the region - my favorites are the Mobil guides - one for the California area, the other for the Pacific NW, both cheap and really useful, even if you want to look for more than the basic accommodation, etc. information contained. The descriptions of the areas and cities, along with okay restaurant, hotel, and other important information, will give you a basis for outlining your trip, then come back to Fodors for help in filling in the gaps or getting information on specific places or off-the-beaten-track recommendations.

Weather is a good example of the region's complexity - in June, in southern California, you may encounter the "June gloom" with cool and cloudy days near the coast, while inland just a few miles it can be blazingly hot. October in LA can be beautiful, even superheated, or it can be definitely autumn and getting drippy in Seattle. The more you know about the basic things you want to see, the better you'll be able to figure out timing, route, and priorities. Happy planning!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Rebecca

Anytime would be nice to visit California. But since you have to take in account for Oregon, WA and BC, September would be the best.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:13 PM
maeve

The State of California will send you a beautiful visitors' guide which describes the state as being different "Californias". That and a good map should get you started. Look gocalif.ca.gov As John says it's really quite a trip!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Samantha

Since you're into hiking, I think you would enjoy Patrick's Point State Park, which is off on highway 101 about an hour north of Eureka. I've never been to Redwoods National Park, north of P.P., but I've heard it's gorgeous. Can't help you out with the kayaking situation. An unusual restaurant is the Samoa Cookhouse in Eureka. Large (and good!) amounts of food are offered in a sit-down, lumberjack style setting. A different and fun experience. If you have specific types of favorite foods (Italian, etc.), I can give you my opinions for the best in Eureka and Arcata.