Driving trip from Chicago to Wiliamsburg Va with 11 year old Granddaughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I have just decided to take our granddaughter on a vacation the last week in March. Starting from Chicago we would like to drive through Kentucky and West Virginia, then wind up in Williamsburg Va. Not sure which route to take on the return home.
I need advice on what route to take and what to see on the way. We have a total of nine days. We like history and would like to take some scenic tours. We will stay in Williamsburg three days in the middle of the trip. My Granddaughter loves horses, any horse farms to tour on the way? Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We did that same trip. Good memories.

We stopped in Lexington KY and toured the Horse Park and Keeneland.

We also stopped at the Greenbriar in WV for a night for a very elegant splurge. Girls loved the harpist and afternoon tea.

On the way back, we stopped at Benko, a blown glass factory in WV. Beautiful and fascinating process.

At Williamsburg, pay the extra money to rent her a costume. They had the American Girl 'Felicity' while we were there. It was a highlight.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I Thought about stopping in Lexington. We also like tea!! My granddaughter has a Felicity doll and was planning on taking her along. Can I ask how long of a trip you took? I'm hoping I'm not trying to squeeze to much in nine days.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I think we took a little over a week, so 9 days ought to do it. We also spent 3 days in W'burg, which was perfect.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM

We also toured Monticello that same trip. We did that on the way there, and then it was so cool for the girls to 'meet' him at W'burg.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I believe we also visited Chincoteague Island when we went to Williamsburg. I don't remember the exact allocations, but we had a few days in West Virginia on the New River (beckley demonstration coal mine was very interesting), a few days in Williamsburg, also visiting Monticello, and a few days on Chincoteague Island, Daughters loved the miniature horses on Assateague.