Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving time from Ko'Olina to Honolulu & Waikiki?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Tnewman2119

Hello, everyone. Can anyone tell me approximately how long time-wise it takes to drive from the Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club into Honolulu and also to Waikiki? In February my girlfriends and I will be staying at Ko'Olina for 6 days. We will want to go to a club maybe 1 night, and out to dinner 1-2 nights. Is it about 45 min to get there? Any time of the day we should avoid driving to/from? I don't mind driving, but I'd like to know how much time to give ourselves to get into the city.

We also want to snorkel at Hanauma (sp?) Bay. Can anyone recommend the best time to do this, and how much driving time we should allow?

Oh, and I have reservations at Dolphin Quest. Any idea how long we should plan to get there from Ko'Olina?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoid early a.m. weekday driving toward Waikiki ("town-bound"); avoid late afternoon driving out of Waikiki, toward Ko `Olina ("Ewa-bound"). Under normal traffic conditions, allow at least 45 minutes to get from your hotel into Waikiki.

Hanauma Bay snorkeling is best in the morning -- the earlier, the better -- when the water is most clear. From your hotel to Hanauma will take an hour or so.

Sorry, but I don't have any Dolphin Quest details. Have a great time!

-- auntie maria
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Stayed aat the KoOlina in September and had a great time at this first class resort. We were there during the bus strike & It only took us a half hour to get to Waikiki even with the increased traffic. Haunama Bay should take about one hour.
<http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html>
Just a thought there is a catamaran dolphin snorkel-sail that leaves from the KoOlina Marina next to the KoOlina. It's called the KoOlina Cat. The reservations desk will make reservations for you. They are very helpful in scheduling anthing you'd like to do & can suggest great restaurants nearby.
The Paradise Cove Luau is two properties up the coast & the hotel has a free shuttle to & from the Luau. Great fun & strong drinks.
I'm not positive but I believe that the Dolphin Quest is a short distance North of the Haunama Bay. You might try to do Haunama Bay first thing in the mouning then hop up to Dolphin Quest for the afternoon, since you are already wet.
The three lagoons that the KoOlina & the JW Marriott are on are good for snorkeling to see sea turtles & octopus, you can rent snorkel gear & kayaks aat the JW's lagoon.
There is a SafeWay market just one exit up from the KoOlina with a lot of chain restaurants, Kmart & Movie theaters.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Tnewman2119

Thank you both very much for your replies. I like the fact that Ko'Olina is far enough away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough for us to drive into it for a couple of days/nights. I'm a city girl and I need some action! Glad to know my driving estimates are in line.

Mike's reply is making me so antsy to get there. I'm all excited and wish we were going this week instead of February! Thanks again.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:19 AM

A note on the beach; the KoOlina was completely booked while we were there, yet there were no more than 15-20 people on the lagoons or at the pools. Most people get up early & explore the island I'm told. Sometimes we felt guilty laying by the lagoon wondering what we were missing (knot). The three lagoons at the resort are open to the public but there are only enough spaces for 100 cars & when the puublic lots are filled they don't let anymore cars into the property (gated).
There are three pools one for kids and a hot tub, a nice pool/beach side restaurant-bar that served lunches & light dinners. The exercise building also housed sauna's & steam baths, showers & changing rooms. The store serves a continental breakfast. The nearest restaurant is at the JW Marriott next door (a little pricey). If you have a late departure the KoOlina allows you to use the facilities all day until you need to leave. Yes you can relax at the beach, hop in the hot tub, step in the sauna, shower, change into your travel clothes and arrive for you flight ready to fall asleep on that long flight back.

Enjoy, we did!