Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving Through Adirondack Park in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting out from Saratoga Springs and ending up in Plattsburgh. Thought I would drive up to Tupper Lake, over through Lake Placid, etc.

The object is to view the scenery. Early October.

Good idea or not worth the effort?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Absolutely!! Definitely drive through the Adirondacks. Do you want some suggestions? What time you want to leave Saratoga Springs and what time do you have to be in Plattsburgh? Is this only a drive through or planing to stay overnight? Driving with kids or adults only?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I would LOVE suggestions...It will be on Friday, the 10th of October. I can leave Saratoga at any time. I have a hotel room reserved in Plattsburgh for that night and cann arrive at any time (I'll be spending the next two days driving down Rte 100 in Vermont).

No kids, just myself.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I think it's a great idea. You'll want to come back to the Adirondacks when you can spend more time!

Almost any route is good - through North Creek, Indian Lake, Blue Mountain Lake or the other way, Minerva, Newcomb, to Long Lake.

Probably want to have lunch in lake Placid.

If you go through Newcomb, they have a nice visitors center that has some lovely short trails if you wanted to get out of the car. It's a really nice property, very representative of typical Adirondack forests, glacial remnants, and ecosystems.

http://www.adkvic.org/newcomb.html
http://www.adkvic.org/trails_n.html
(The peninsula trail is really nice. When the map says "only open for snowshoeing in the winter" that means no skiing - it is always open for hiking.)

The headwaters of the Hudson are also near by and they have a couple of nice scenic overlooks:
http://www.newcombny.com/Recreationandattractions.html
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Wliwl,

Thank you VERY much for those recommendations and links. Really appreciated.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Dukey, I agree any route through the Adirondacks it has to be good on October 10th. wliwl already gave you an idea and now consider another. Take I-87 north to exit 30 (route 73 for Lake Placid). This is a spectacular drive, I really would hate if you miss this approach. Even driving in I-87 to this exit is extremely scenic. You may stop at Chapel Pond on your left and walk around. I have some pictures I took last October on route 73 if you want to see them. Farther on this road make a stop at Au Sable Club and look around. the next stop is Keene Valley for lunch or just a piece of pie at Noonmark Cafe (on your right). Pies here are expensive but so famous for a good reason. On this road you have views of High Peaks of the Adirondacks. If you go through Blue Mountain Lake and Tupper Lake you'll miss the most scenic part of the area, IMHO. After Keene (a few miles down road 73 from Keene Valley)route 73 veers slightly to the left. A few miles down this road stop at Cascade Lake. Closer to Lake Placid take a side road on your left to Adirondack Loj. More of High Peaks. If you want a short hike then park near the lodge (Loj) and take a short hike but with views to Mount Jo. I didn't hike this trail for many years but if I recall correctly you need at least one hour. I can check this out for you. If you want a real Adirondack maple syrup there is a place near by to get it. You drive on a dirt road to this farm where they have a store. Nobody is there. You take what you want, leave a cash or your personal check and be on your way. Go back to 73 and on to Lake Placid. If you are interested in spending a little time in this village I suggest finding off street parking near Mirror Lake Inn and walk around the lake (almost 3 miles). If you have a time take a very scenic 1 hour boat tour on Lake Placid, I highly recommend. It is a wonderful way to see what's this area about. From Lake Placid take a drive to Wilmington for another scenic drive on route 86. You'll drive by Whiteface ski area. You may want to stop for a view (there is a gondola running in October) but for a really an extraordinary views go all the way to Wilmington and at a 4 way stop turn left and take a drive on a toll road to the top of Whiteface Mountain if it is a clear day. You'll see from the top Lake Placid, High Peaks, more of the Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, Vermont and much more. Once you are parked at the top (almost) take a short trail to the real top. On the way back take an elevator and learn how this narrow space for an elevator was carved in a granite rock. before I continue with more suggestions from this point may I ask why are you staying in Plattsburgh? Do you have to go there? My suggestions depend on your answer so I'll wait.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM

The Adirondack museum in Blue Mt. Lake is very interesting if you go that way and have time to stop there.
http://www.adkmuseum.org/

Outside Lake Placid you can see the John Brown farm and gravesite(state historic park)
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/sites/info.asp?siteID=14

I had the same question as maps: Is there a reason you want to go to Plattsburgh? I would not pick it as a destination
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

First, and foremost: THANKS for these additional comments! And APOLOGIES for not having looked back at this thread sooner.

Re stopping in Plattsburgh....seemed as good a place as any. For the two days after that I am going to be traveling the length of Vermont Route 100..will drive over to it from Plattsburgh.

As to "better" places to stay...I would be amenable to suggestions provided there is room...

Maps: I am re-reading your recommendations and considering them carefully. More thoughts ALWAYS appreciated!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

ttt once more
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
bm

If all you are looking is for a place to lay your head for the night, then Plattsburg is fine.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's what I figured, also, but I suspect Maps has something else in mind.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Dukey, you are right, I have something else in mind. Just returned home so I'll get back to you tomorrow morning, if that's OK with you
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Great, Maps! Thanks..look forward to hearing from you.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM

I talked with a friend of mine this morning who hiked Mount Jo two weeks ago. It is about 2 miles round trip hike and some sections are very difficult. It’s a little mountain but hiking to the top is more challenging than we think. That’s what he said. I remember this hike as being relatively easy but I hiked it 6-8 years ago so my recollection is not as accurate as his. Walking sticks would be very helpful. He said it took him two hours including a lunch on the top. Another important thing to know is a parking fee. Now it’s $9.00 per car. I guess I hiked this little mountain long ago because I cannot recall any fee. Maybe I just forgot. If you get there at mid-day on a clear day in October you may not be able to find a parking space although this parking lot accommodates about 200 cars. 99% of hikers try to invade from there Mount Marcy but only a few lucky once get to hike Mount Jo.

The maple syrup I mentioned in my previous post is at South Meadow Farm Lodge, 7 miles from Keene. On the left side of route 73.

For such a short driving visit it would be more rewarding to stay in Lake Placid or Wilmington or even across the lake in Burlington. It’s nothing wrong with Plattsburgh but don't you want to use your time better and spend a little more time in more scenic surroundings?

Plattsburgh is not in the Adirondacks. It is the town on the way from somewhere to somewhere. If you are looking for less expensive place in Lake Placid then check out the Cobble Mountain Lodge http://www.cobblemountainlodge.com/.It really is not a lodge, a very simple and inexpensive motel. I don’t know anything about it, I don’t know people who run it or accommodations, never went inside. I drive by and always see signs for inexpensive rooms. They have cabins and there was some construction going on last year. There are many other options in Lake Placid and you shouldn’t have any problem to find something if you book very soon.

In Wilmington there is a number of motels but some of them are not very desirable even if you are looking for the most inexpensive lodging. Before you get to Wilmington there is the Hungry Trout motel and restaurant on route 86 after you pass the entrance to Whiteface Mountain. Food is nice but the same and much cheaper is at the bar downstairs. The rooms are very simple, clean and windows face Whiteface. I never stayed there but many of our friends use this motel. As long as you are not expecting luxurious accommodations this is a fine place to stay for one night. For some luxury try in Lake Placid the Mirror Lake Inn which is a wonderful place and priced accordingly.

Another option for you it would be take the 6 or 7 pm ferry from Port Kent, NY to Burlington. You may consider staying in Williston of route I-89. There are several hotels/motels and you shouldn’t have any problem finding something available for October 10th. I stayed many times at the Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn and they are all nice places but ask for a room away from I-89
http://www.ferries.com/central_schedule.asp. Fairfield Inn and Residence Inn include breakfasts. If you decide to cross the lake that evening from New York and stay in Burlington/Williston it is only a short drive to route 100. You chose a great route for enjoying Vermont in the fall.

If you decide to take the ferry to Burlington from Port Kent you may feel more comfortable making reservation to be certain there is enough room for you and your car. This is a popular and a very scenic passage in October. The ferry from Plattsburgh to VT is not a scenic one, this one is. Even if you decide to spend a night in Lake Placid or Wilmington take this ferry crossing. The first ferry from Port Kent is late, unfortunately, at 10 am but you can take another ferry crossing (not the one in Plattsburgh).

Now let’s get back to the Adirondacks. If you leave lets say at 8 am from Saratoga Springs and take I-87 to exit 30 then 73 to Lake Placid you have enough time for all activities I listed. Well, maybe not for a hike to Mount Joe. Based on input from many of our friends and family who visit they always enjoy a little cruise on Lake Placid and views from the top of Whiteface Mountain.

From Wilmington to get to the ferry in Port Kent take Memorial Highway, the road from the top of Whiteface, to Wilmington. When you get to the center of Wilmington go straight at a four way stop. Follow route 86 to Jay where a route 86 ends. Turn left into route 9N. If you want you may cross 9N and go down to the newly restored covered bridge with nice rock rapids and views of the Adirondacks. Get back to 9N and follow signs to AuSable Forks, Keeseville, I-87 North. Allow 1 hour to get to the ferry from Wilmington if you want to make a short stop at the covered bridge in Jay.

The road to the top of Whiteface is open until 4 pm and I don’t know what time they allow a last car to pass the gate. It is 8 miles to the top and you need some time up there to enjoy it and get your $9.00 worthy. Maybe you should call them and ask about it. Let me know too.
http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/summer/highway.php
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM

Dukey, I guess I forgot about getting from the intersection of routes 86 and 9N in Jay to the ferry in Port Kent. From Jay follow route 9N to Keeseville for about 12 miles, turn there to the left (route 9) for 1.5 mile. Before you get to the bridge there is a big parking lot on both sides for Au Sable Chasm. Take a walk on a bridge from which you could see the falls and a small part of the chasm. turn right on the ferry road route 373 for maybe 2-3 miles. Last October trees around this area were spectacular. I don't remember foliage in October being so vivid there.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM

Westport or Essex might also be possible places to stay on the NY side. This puts you near one of the ferries to Vt. I think many of the lodging options there are B & B's though, so these locations wouldn't work if you don't like those

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all these further thoughts and recommendations. I'll let you know how it all goes/went.