Driving the Pacific Coast Highway South

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am driving the PCH this summer with my mom and dad and I need some nice places to stay and things to do. We love to do things outdoors and things that the locals do. I am 18 so I cannot drink, but my parents will probably want to do wine country for a day. Any ideas on which one we should do. I am going to try to stay in B&B's the whole time just to be cute, but if you know of any good places to stay let me know. I believe we are going San Francisco to Los Angeles. Any ideas or advice on anything have to do with driving the PCH south please let me know. Thank you.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Hi toots!
This is a recent thread with some ideas that might help to get you started:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-road-trip.cfm

In it, I added my recommendation of staying at the lodge at Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park. We enjoyed eating there when we drove the PCH from SF to LA (we camped in a tent but ate our meals at the lodge).

I'm sure others will chime in with more!
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are tons of threads about this drive and where to stay so a quick search will get you lots of recommendations.

But we really do need to know: Your budget? How many days? And the dates because many places (most nice places) will require a minimum 2 night stay at the busiest times and almost always on weekends.

(note -- "PCH/Pacific Coast Hwy" is really a southern California 'thing'. In Northern Cal and most of the way south it is just called Hwy 1)
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM

The wine area closest to your Highway 1 route is the Santa Cruz and Monterey County stuff, several in Carmel Valley and around Santa Cruz,mostly between 1 and 101.
Excellent, but pricey B&B in Cambia, Blue Whale Inn, also the Olalliberry Inn. The Old Yacht Club Inn near the waterfront in Santa Barbara was nice when we were there, but it's been a couple of years.
For meals, the Sea Chest Restaurant and Oyster Bar on Moonstone Beach Drive, Cambria is interest, no reservations and no credit cards. Also recommend the Sow's Ear in Cambria and in Santa Barbara, Palace Grill (cajun/creole menu), and Enterprise Fish Company.
If your folks want more extensive wine tasting, shoot over to Paso Robles area on Highway 46 just south of Cambria. Many choice between there and 101.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM

>>"PCH/Pacific Coast Hwy" is really a southern California 'thing'. In Northern Cal and most of the way south it is just called Hwy 1)
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Actually the closest wine tasting to Hwy 1 is in the Lompoc Wine Ghetto, since Hwy 1 passes through Lompoc. But you probably had something more like the Santa Ynez Valley in mind. It's quite a bit more scenic than Paso Robles.

Some info here:
http://www.syvva.com/html/aboutus.php
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM

These hot spring are kind of fun

http://www.sycamoresprings.com/relax/
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Bonny Doon winery is in Santa Cruz in a set of buildings that contain other wineries. Wine tasting is available, Google Bonny Doon for the correct address.

The missions should be visited: Carmel, Santa Barbara, but I am partial to La Purissima because it is out in the country and gives a sense of what a mission was before the development around them.

These photos are from south to north, but still give a sense of the coast between SF and LA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7624512998387/
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM

This is a report on a day trip we took last year down part of Hwy 1:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Here's a good website for PCH travel.

http://www.pacific-coast-highway-travel.com/index.html
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

My dates are June 7 to June 15.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"My dates are June 7 to June 15."

That is right in the middle of the June Gloom. Frequent fog/haze morning through mid afternoon. It ometimes burns off earlier though - sometimes not.

You can still have an enjoyable driving trip -- but don't plan any morning departures. Adjust things so you stick around wherever you stayed the night, have lunch and then head south. Don't try to cover too many miles each day.