driving San Diego to LA

Old May 4th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving San Diego to LA

I'll be making the drive from San Diego to LA , specifically to the Dodger Stadium area, probably on a Saturday a.m.

How long a trip is it?
Any tips for shortcuts or routes to avoid?
Is there a Metro stop near Dodger Stadium? If so, where is the best place ot park to catch the Metro.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Okay, I can't figure out why anyone would want to do this, but you must have your reasons.

To drive will take roughly 2 hours, depending on traffic which may or may not be good or bad on a Saturday. The Metro Link is a no can do. It doesn't operate on Saturdays, unless you are going to/from San Bernardino or Antelope Valley. You could try Amtrak, though I'm uncertain which trains run on Saturdays, and they will not have return service on Saturdays. You would have to wait a couple of days for the next Amtrak to breeze through. (Did anyone tell you public transporation is almost non-existant in LA? )

Normally when I go to/from San Diego I take the I-15, but I live in Orange County so that is just easier for me. Going to Chavez Ravine, you have few options other than the I-5. And there will be traffic. It's unavoidable. If you arrive at the stadium early enough, traffic and parking shouldn't be too bad, however leaving will be heavy traffic. (I could insert the standing joke that Dodger fans never stay past the 7th inning so it's nothing to worry about, but we'll let that go!)

I'm a little curious as to why you would want to make this trek, but you obviously have your reasons so I hope you enjoy the game!
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I don't think we need to question why someone wants to make this trip. It seems pretty obvious that they want to watch a Dodger game. As the Padres are not exactly setting the field on fire this year, I can understand.

The traffic on I-5 on Saturdays can be OK. I drove from SD to Irvine last weekend and there was no problem at all going north and just a couple of minor slow-downs coming back.

Also remember the first part of the standing joke that Dodger fans don't arrive until the third inning!
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'll explain.

Because of business, I'll be staying in SD. I want to see a ballgame, and the Padres are not in town that weekend, so the Dodgers are the next choice. Plus, I've never been to Dodger Stadium so I thought that might be something different.

And we're meeting someone in LA that night for dinner so I thought, hey, drive up, catch the ballgame, then go to dinner.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I have been to LA and know about the legendary lack of public transit, but thought (hoped?) maybe the Metro had improved since I was last there.

Also, I have heard about the fans' travel habits -- arrive late, leave early. It seems the way to avoid traffic is unique in LA: stay till the end of the game.

Thanks again, and hope I've satisfied your curiosity.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM
lvk

You could take Amtrak from SD to LA (Union Station) on Saturday. You could stroll around Olvera St., then take a bus or cab to Dodger Stadium. Look up the route on www.mta.net.

I don't know where you are meeting your friends for dinner, but you would have to take a bus or cab there, unless they're really good friends and would venture to Chavez Ravine to pick you up .

The last train leaving LA back to San Diego on a Saturday night is at around 10pm. Maybe your friends could drive you to Union Station? Just a thought.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

I made this trip last year as part of my vacation - I enjoyed it. As a NYer I love the drive along the coast, it is just beautiful. Of course the traffic part as you get to L.A.is not fun
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Being from San Diego, my #1 rule for driving to LA: Avoid the 5, Avoid the 5, Avoid the 5! Okay, since you can't avoid the 5...if it were me driving to Dodger Stadium on a Saturday morning, I would take 5 north to 405, then catch 110 North to the Dodger Stadium exit....see how I'm avoiding the 5 as much as possible? The worst part of 5 is through Anaheim and Pasadena. You bypass that by taking 405. It's a little longer, but you lessen your chances of windshield cracks, road debris, large potholes, no emergency shoulder, and sudden stop and go traffic.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Gecko - I would agree with your advice about avoiding the 5 and the route you suggest is the one I would take. One note-the 5 doesn't go through Pasadena. You probably mean from Anaheim through Norwalk and up to Commerce. It always bogs down there.

Barbara is right, though, on a Saturday morning it shouldn't be too bad. I still like the 4-405-110 route because there are more carpool lanes on that route in case there is traffic. It sounds like j999 that several of you will be driving up since you said we. Either route will work.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM

I really can't type tonight. I meant I like the 5-405-110 route.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Paula1470 - You're right. My bad. The 5 doesn't go through Pasadena. But it's all the same to me .
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

So, let me see if i have this straight: I should stay on the 5. Just kidding.

Actually, I have driven in LA a bit and I am aware of the infamous 5. So your advice on avoiding it is much appreciated.

As for the friend driving us to the train station: He's elderly and has vision problems, which is one reason we (my son and I) are dritving up to see him instead of vice versa.

Thanks again for the help.
BTW, I've been searching the Web for Dodger tickets. The best deals seem to be on Stubhub and the exchange on the Dodgers website. Anyone have better ideas?

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:37 AM

I think your best bet for Doger tickets would be the Dodger ticket exchange. Some tickets there even go for less than face value, depending on the location of the seats. You might want to try Ebay. I've never bought tickets from there, but I've heard some really positive experiences.