San Diego vacation commute question..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first trip to San Diego! I知 planning on staying ten day, four of those days I値l be attending a convention at the Paradise Point Resort. I知 considering a vacation rental, as opposed to a hotel, and staying in La Jolla. Can anyone tell me about the driving time I値l be looking at-driving from LJ to the PPR during the week?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM

La Jolla to exit say SeaWorld drive will be a busy and slow commute.... I-5 South on Mon- Fri is one of the busy traffic routes..

If you want to do the California (you won't see much of the ocean) layed back Mochachino morning, very slow commute, you could take winding and not straight thru coast roads..very slow with lights, you could avoid some freeway traffic, but there will still be traffic..

you would be going against traffic if you stayed on Coronado Is and commuted North to Sea world Drive
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM

You don't have to take 1-5 from La Jolla to Sea World area--take Ingraham south from La Jolla. Not sure of times--but no need to take the interstate.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM

What time do you need to be at the convention? I can better answer you about the route you take if I know the time you need to be there. If the convention starts at 7:00am that would mean one direction. If you do not need to be there until 9:30am to 10:00am this could mean a different route.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Leaving or going into the Beaches is always tough during rush hours.
There are only a couple of ways in and out.
Would you consider staying downtown?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM

I disagree with some of the postings because I make that drive 4 times a day, 5 days a week taking my kids to school and back. Its about 7-8 minutes and no more than 10 minutes. You don't take the freeway, but stay on surface streets.

If you are staying in the bird rock area of La Jolla, are are traveling from the PPR , you take ingrahm to foothill (verve to left or make a left on foothill) to tourquise to la jolla blvd. If you are staying in wind and sea area of la jolla, you go ingrahm to foothill, right on cardeno (going up a long hill) street then become Nautilus (where you will see the kids school) and then go down nautilus to wind and sea. If you are staying at the shores or village of la jolla, you go same as above but at intersection of Cardeno/Nautlius and Soledad you go right on Soledad, continue curving around the road where it becomes via capri. At bottom of hill you will go left on la jolla parkway. There is also another way past the high schools. So when you have were you will be staying I can give you more specific directions. I don't mind the drive and don't think of it as a big deal and I'm on the road all the time in that neighborhood.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, & especially for the very specific directions ITSV
I have not booked a place yet...still a bit confused on the best location to stay. I am not familiar with the various neighborhoods in La Jolla. Is Bird Rock a good place and is that considered to be in L J?
What is your opinion on staying on Mission Bay or is it mostly run down? (thanks)
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Bird Rock is very nice and it is part of la jolla, but not downtown la jolla.
i think it really will depend on what part of La Jolla you decide to stay in. Bird Rock area not a long drive, La Jolla Shores that would be longer. Maybe you should look at a map, or find one on line and see where your convention hotel is and where la jolla is.
plus you have not said what time of year, traffic in summer is a lot worse than other times of the year.
Mission Bay is not run down at all and your hotel is on Mission Bay.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM

If you are in the heart of La Jolla, get on La Jolla Parkway/Hwy 52 East and it will take you to I-5 South, you'll only stay on I-5 for a few miles and you'll see an exit to Sea World. Pending on the time of the convention is what will determine traffic.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all responses guys. I'm still not sure where I should stay...mission beach, mission bay or la jolla. Can't seem to find much information on the various areas around L J though. Can anyone recommend a nice area to stay in, not too active and on the water? It does seem doable to drive back and forth from there to the PPR in mid-October.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM

I think there was some confusion with early posters thinking you are going to be at the convention center Downtown.

Anywhere in La Jolla or mission beach will be fine. They are all decent areas, La Jolla being more high end shopping and food.

Mission beach vacation rentals may be a bit noisy or have more parties...buildings are pretty close to each other on courts and lots of young people. Lots of food and easy access to the beach or bay side.Great boardwalk runs along the beach, so walking/people watching is fun.

Bird Rock is the south end of La Jolla; very nice and quiet, mostly residential. Some nice dining spots nearby, but access to the beach is a bit harder as it has a lot of cliffs. From there it is about 5 minutes driving into downtown La Jolla (and then a bit more time looking for parking!).

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Perfect! That was the information I was needing lcuy. Sorry about the confusion
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM

marlynjoh
i live in Bird Rock and it is about a 10 minute drive from the Bird Rock Area to Paradise Point Resort which (if I'm correct) is in the Mission Bay area.

I 'm not aware of any nice hotels in the Bird Rock Area, but there are some nice ones in downtown La Jolla. If you stay in LJ the communt will be longer due to more stop and go traffic on Torrey Pines Road.

You might actually want to stay in a hotel in the Mission Bay area.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I think I might after-all.
Thank you very much for the advice nanabee.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM

We loved the Colonial in La Jolla....short two block walk down to goof around with the seals, right in the heart of the shopping and walking district...

Stay in La Jolla, it is great. I've been to SD 20 times and love going back there. You can get to downtown quickly, scoot up to Del Mar and Malibu, just a great spot.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM

I don't really know about vacation rentals in La Jolla, but I saw some listed in the la jolla section of vrbo.com that would fit the bill. If you decide to go the hotel route in la jolla, then at the shores there are LJ Beach and Tennis Club and the Shores. If you stay at the village, there is also the La Valencia hotel-old world la jolla and the Empress Hotel. You will have to check tripadvisor.com for reviews. I don't know about hotels in Wind and Sea or Bird Rock. What is nice about all 3 nieghborhoods is that you can walk to restaurants and shops. I like Paradise Point and have stayed there during our remodel, but its more on the bay and there really isn't anyplace to walk to but I did enjoy my stay there. good luck, you can't go wrong in San diego or la Jolla