The Hotel Carlyle - Farewell Bobby Short

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hotel Carlyle - Farewell Bobby Short

My yen and yearning for a "cabaret" style evening has been on hold for many years. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the small circle of talents who make these hallowed rounds but my desire to sit and reminisce the days of Porter and Gershwin comes and goes. Lately, it's just been gone. I guess I've been too busy dealing with the now or simply spending and enjoying too much time Downtown with younger people.

Last night, nostalgia shot its loving arrow through my heart as I attended the Bobby Short Memorial Service at The Carlyle Hotel. I haven't been to The Carlyle recently and what fun it was to drink, laugh, and reminisce, mingling with old friends and meeting a few new. The cocktail reception in their beautiful Trianon Suite was perfect for conviviality and the lovely memorial in Cafe Carlyle fitting and appropriate for a special man who called this special place home.

I had forgotten how precious The Carlyle Hotel is: "the belle of the city's debutante circle." My (Hollywood diva) girlfriend's suite was impeccably decorated. Where else in NYC can you find yourself surrounded by such glorious interior-glam decoration, created by such legendary names as Dorothy Draper, Mark Hampton, Marcel Vertes, Renzo Mongiardino, and Thierry Despont? Where else can you rub elbows with such legendary performers as Barbara Cook, Woody Allen, Betty Buckley, and Karen Akers? Where else can you find yourself surrounded by so many exquisite floral masterpieces by L'Olivier?

The Carlyle Hotel has a remarkable history, dating back to 1930. This "timeless classic" has been (and remains) home to many "leaders in world affairs, business, society, entertainment and the arts." I can't tell you how many famous faces we bumped into last night and many weren't guests of the memorial.

Of course you'll see a few "outrageous" upper-east-side types, the kind of "pulled" woman who spends too much time in front of a mirror at Bergdorf's. But, even they help make this place oddly magical.

There are very few hotels in NYC that offer the unique experience that The Carlyle offers. You can argue plenty about bang-equals-buck but for a romantic splurge in a "sanctuary of refined taste," that almost guarantees numerous celebrity sightings, I don't think this place can be beat.
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Don't want you to think no one read this. I envy your attending this event. Hope he got the fabulous send off he deserves.

He was the top.
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:52 AM

NYCFS, thanks for the warm, heartfelt remembrance. I,. too, wish I had been there.
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Read about it in the Times today and it sounded like a fab event. Seeing Short at the Carlyle was one of things I always meant to do, but never did. Reminds us all to start knocking off that list of things you are always meaning to do!
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I know what you mean about that list of "things to do." I can remember seeing Short in Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters", singing at the Carlyle. I've been a fan ever since. I always meant to get there and never did.

Bobby, you are missed.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM
GoTravel

Saw him back in the 1980 and wish I would have waited until I could have appreciated it more.

What a wonderful hotel, one of my very favorites.

NYC has truly lost one of its very own landmarks.

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the appreciation. And as lisettemac points out, the reminder that times-a-wasting...
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I remember fondly my "caberet evening" with Bobby Short at the Carlyle.

It was on my "to-do" list for a long while, and I was getting concerned about his continuing ability to perform.

I am so glad that I finally made the time. The wife and I had a NY themed vacation in our own city, that was wonderful.

Bobby Short was the high light of that trip.