driving outside san francisco

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:37 PM
Pete

driving outside san francisco

My wife and I are visiting San Francisco for the first time in late May. We are thinking of staying at the Grant Plaza Hotel, near Chinatown (any comments?). I am wondering if it is worth hiring a car for a day to drive outside San Francisco as I hear there are some nice sights to see. I realise driving around SF itself is not worth the effort, but is there anything worth driving to outside SF for one day or so?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:04 PM
bobby

I would definitely rent a car and drive down highway 1 to monterey. The drive is beautiful until Santa Cruz, monterey makes for a great day trip also check out pebble beach.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:34 PM
Leilani

You could also go north, over the Golden Gate Bridge. Marin County has some scenic spots (Mill Valley, Muir Woods, Stinson Beach), and the wine country -- Sonoma and Napa -- is lovely in the spring.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:35 PM
Howard

You have a variety of options for a one-day jaunt. Besides previous suggestion, here are two others: You can go north over the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods and the Reyes National Seashore or head to Napa Valley and/or Sonoma Valley.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:18 PM
John

I would not be comfortable driving such a distance in a foreign area. I think renting a car with driver would be a safer choice. Many people are killed on California roads each year according to their transportation department.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Gail

The Grant Plaza is a well kept budget hotel in a good location just outside Chinatown. Be forewarned the rooms are VERY SMALL ,but then you came to spend your time in SF.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
tmn

are you serious jwak? I was in SFO this past November, stayed in the city for four days then drove a rental across the Bridge, then went down to pebble beach where we (another woman & I) spent three more days sight-seeing. I felt much safer during this trip than I did in several cities throughout the US (Dallas, Detroit, Memphis, etc..)

Rent the car Pete - get a good map, fill a cooler with sandwiches, fruit, etc... and have a GREAT TIME!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 06:28 PM
oaktown traveler

Pete:
By all means rent a car. You really do not need a driver. Contact any AAA Office for great maps etc. Go to any or all of the sites previously mentioned in these threads. The high volume of death on the highways in California is news to me. It can't possibly top the European stats can it?
Your hotel is located in a very busy area. If you like that then you will love your place. Chinatown is great. At night use your common sense. You should drive around SF if you have a sight that you want to see. I drive SF lots. Start out after and before rush hour. Have a blast!