Driving from So Cal to Colorado Springs

Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Driving from So Cal to Colorado Springs

Hello all,

I wanted to thank those of you who helped me with advice about commute times and general info regarding Denver and The Springs.

After the birth of our third child in November and a little bit of rest
(sort of but not really;-), I applied for a job transfer within my company (Northrop Grumman). I recently accepted a position near the CS airport.

I flew out a couple of weeks ago, found a house and am now in escrow. Wow, this has been a real whirlwind!!!

We will be driving next week from Southern California to CS via the I70 northern route unless the weather looks really bad. Right now the forcast looks ok.

Has anyone driven this route before? We have three small children and so will need to break it up into at least two days. I am looking for a good half way point to stop for the night. Glenwood Utah in the middle of the state looks about half way when taking the I70 to Vegas and then Ca.

Any other tips for family travel this time of the year would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hi Derek,

You've got me! I live in UT and don't know where Glenwood is. Where are you seeing it?

Best option would be to stay 2 nights in Zion Nnatl Park. April is nice and you'll love it! Maybe Zion or Arches?
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle,

Unfortunately we won't have time for very much extra time for sight seeing, except for whats along the way. We just need a decent place to stay off the I70 while in route to CS.

Glenwood is just one of the many *little* towns along I70 just east of the I70 & I15 intersection. Other options include Joseph, Monroe, Richfield, Annabella, Sigurd, Aurora, and Salina. But I don't know if these are just 'one hick' towns or a little larger with restraunts and hotels.
You can see them on Google here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...29435,3.955078

Google maps are really nice because they scroll.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM

derek,

Richfield is the largest town out of the ones you mention.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM

You got me with Glenwood also. I've been in that area many, many times and never heard of it until I just got out a state map and looked it up. I agree with the suggestion for staying in Richfield. The only other real choice for that area is Salina. In either case, don't expect anything but basic motels and restaurants.

If it were me with 3 small kids and if I had the time, I'd make it a three day trip instead of two. The most logical places for stops on a 3-day trip would be St George, UT, and Grand Junction, CO. Both of these would give you more lodging, dining, and sight-seeing choice than either Richfield or Salina.

Good luck with your new job and the road trip.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Ok Guys,

Thanks for your honest feedback. I think I maight have to revise my initial plan based on input I have recieved.

After thinking about driving the 1000+ miles in two days vs. three, I think you might be right. If I rush too much we are going to miss much of the beauty that we are moving to live closer to.

I guess I need to downshift a little and smell the flowers

I like the idea of staying in St. George/Zion and Grand Junction. Cool...

Thanks again,

Derek