Search

Niwot, Colorado...good choice in lieu of or instead of Boulder

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niwot, Colorado...good choice in lieu of or instead of Boulder

Anyone ever heard of the Niwot Inn...
sorry computer not doing question marks tonight! Set on another language keyboard.

Anyway, considering a stay at the Niwot vs. a stay at the Quality Inn in Boulder.
Next day, plans are to drive to RMNP, but had planned to take 119 over to 7...I guess Niwot would mean overshooting that a bit.

Not sure what to do, but looks like the lodge in Niwot has more of a mountain atmosphere, perhaps. Easy to backtrack to Boulder, maybe...
or just better to stay directly in Boulder, do you think.

Not much open except a few simple motels in Boulder due to it being an active weekend at the University. Would love thoughts on Niwot area, as nothing really on the Net, except a few very short reviews regarding this Inn. But nothing really on the location of this town nor its feel vs.
being in Boulder which comes with a great reputation, but clearly, will be very busy the wknd we are there. Thanks so much!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM

A "vintage" two-block main street, on the flat plain, surrounded by houses of a suburban bedroom community. I wouldn't bother. And I live there. (Plus, it will add at least 20 minutes to your drive from the airport.)
If you really want to slog out late, in the dark, the best bet is still Louisville. Niwot or Louisville are fine for hitting 119 to 7 (if you pick either, you could go up Lefthand Canyon or other route, very scenic, to bypass Boulder Canyon to get to 119 and 7.)
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM

Daydreamer, WHAT are you trying to accomplish? Your questions are all over the place and don't seem to have any consistancy. Nothing in Niwot. Small bedroom community to the larger surrounding areas. Nothing mountainous abut Niwot -- maybe some rolling hills -- it is still on the plain. You are coming in late at night -- not going to see anything anywhere. I haven't checked the CU football schedule but could be a Saturday game that weekend which will it diffiiuclt to get through Boulder and the lodging around Boulder will be full. Again, what do you want?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Okay...well not being from the area,
how is one to know an area is merely a
suburban bedroom community vs. a 'real' small town? Kinda hard to figure out merely from a barebones map,
wouldn't you think?

As far as mtns...didn't mean to imply Niwot is *in* the mountains, as readers took here. Rather, I was saying the *lodge* clearly seems to have(see niwotinn.com) more of a mtn lodge 'feel' to it (interior-wise) than a spot like the Quality Inn Boulder.

But we don't "need" to see Boulder,
and really have little time to explore it anyway. Main goal is to get to RMNP by 1pm or so, I think.

Was merely picking a seemingly logical overnight spot (before I knew it was Homecoming wknd!) ;-) on way to our drive up to RMNP the next day.

I know Boulder reputedly has got *some* character to it...or at least did 20 yrs ago, when I was briefly there...but again, not necessarily
via the *lodging* spots open at this point in time. (in fact, seemingly not)

I *do* realize this is not for much more than a place to lay one's head!
However, if one only had a few nights to experience *any* lodging at all in Colorado (since staying w/brother later in the week in SW Colorado)...
just thought the few nights we *had*, might be more enjoyable if we at least 'knew' or could tell
we were in Colorado. (vs. anywhere's ville USA)

That's what I was going after, or seeking.

Sorry for not being clearer.
Perhaps a misguided 'aim'...as many would prefer to stay near the airport. But we won't be *that* tired landing at 10pm, as that's only 9pm our time.

And, truly...I can't think of a less enjoyable place *anywhere* in the U.S.
or world, for that matter, than overnighting right by airports. (unless one HAS to due to early,
early flights...in which case, I might make an exception) ;-)

Thanks again & hopefully, that explains more fully? Just was looking for something historical, or if not that...something w/a bit of a mountain lodge feel. That was all...

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM

OK, one more attempt. You seem to have a fixation on Boulder and RMNP -- why ??? If I remember correctly, you have a week, headed to SW CO, and you want to "experience" or at least know you were in Colorado. No problem with that. BUT, at least from a local's view point, you will see nothing in RMNP that you will not see a dozen times on the way to your brother. We have lots of mountains and they are everywhere. Boulder and RMNP is out of your way and adds considerable to your travel time without much additional scenic value.

Head west on i-70 to Idaho Springs (an hour). Lot of OK motels -- nothing great but you are in the mountains. Another 30 mins is Georgetown -- a couple of OK motels -- and your are really in the mountains at the foot of the divide. When you wake up there, you will know your are in the mountains. Or another 30 minutes through the tunnel and you are in Silverthorne, Dillon, Frisco. Lots of motels, some very good. I would choose Frisco. Great little town, some good restaurants. Now you are deep in the mountains and you will know you are in Colorado. Start your Colorado trip from there -- lots of options. You will gained a day's travel time and will have more time to relax and see other stuff.

Homecoming at CU is the 29, I thought you coming the 6th.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - the previous posts led me to go back and look at some of your other threads to try to get a handle on what you want.

My only question right now is WHY are you going out of your way to visit RMNP? It is a fine place - really. But not much of anything that you won't see a hundred other places all along the rest of your route.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Going to RMNP as particularly interested in wildlife viewing, and altho' I *do* realize elk spotting is very common some places...some call them like 'rats' in Estes Park...
to us, they aren't all *that* common or boring.

Also some slim possibility of catching a moose on the western side. Not likely, no...but we generally have *some* luck when it comes to wildlife 'moments', at least when in national park areas.

I'm guesssing bighorn not as common this time of year, but one never knows. Again, *might* get lucky.

So, that's our primary 'purpose' or interest in RMNP, as well wanting to do some of the hikes near Bear Lake, etc.

I do realize there are hikes all around CO, and wonderful sights to behold in any range. I'm also aware that the mtn areas in RMNP aren't likely to be 'prettier' or more stunning than those one could see near Frisco, Aspen, or SW Colorado.

BUT...I do feel odds for seeing wild elk (not a game farm) are greater *there*...than in SW Co.
However, who knows? I may learn differently via *this* trip. Will see. (but again,
I kinda doubt we'd have any odds for spotting a moose or bighorn, etc. elsewhere)

Doubtful in RMNP? Yeah, probably.
But I think more so, than while just tooling along the mtn passes on way to Ridgway.

Again, I may find the *opposite*, but...will see.
Btw, we do hang out 'til dusk often, and can have great luck with that, too. But, whatever the case, just trying to share what the 'big deal' was w/Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, per se.
(since asked so incredulously!)

Fall is often really enjoyable whether we be in Canada, Montana, or wherever...and, just hoping for a little bit of that, again, in Colorado this year. (as far as wildlife 'thrills' go)

We *do* have elk not too far away, from where we live. But not the same kind. And, as alluded to...moose and bighorn sheep not at ALL here. (so they are always fun/awe-inspiring to see!)

Boulder...is no huge deal. That was merely a stopover on the way to our lodging next day in Estes Park area.
Didn't 'need' to be Boulder.
Just initially believed it would be a little more distinctive than your average suburb, which now have all grown to look the same, whether one is in Calif...Wisconsin, Maryland, or...?
(fill in the blank!) :-{

THAT'S why I was searching out some place just *slightly* different, is all.

As said before, didn't have to be IN the mountains. But, I was hoping for a room, or heck...lobby, that maybe said "Colorado" to me, a tad more than your gen'l chain place, does.

And the same goes for Seattle or *wherever* we go. Can stay in a chain...or in a big hotel in Seattle, itself. Some look like every OTHER 'branch' they have. But other big hotels, even...can reflect a bit more their location, and evoke a "northwest" feel. And, THAT I value, when there. (before heading off to more wild parts of Washington state)

So, that was *all*.

Didn't mean to offend, or lead others astray. Just searching for the increasingly hard-to-find...
and for some reason,
threatened or ticked off people in the process? I don't quite get that. :-\

I wouldn't think it's *that* unusual to prefer one's travel dollars to go towards supporting perhaps smaller businesses, or ones that are taking SOME 'risks?' Instead, you'd think I'd somehow insulted someone's state!

Not at ALL. Rather, I'm saying I'd like to support the history of one's area more...or its distinctive character. What is wrong with THAT, for pete's sake? :-\
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM

Well, having been all over Colorado and parts west (and east north, and south), can't imagine anyone saying RMNP is the same as other parts of CO. I still am amazed whenever I go up Trail Ridge road; IMO, there's nothing like it (no, not even Ouray!)
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

It is your vacation and there is no need to explain your reasons for visiting RMNP.

BUT...I do think you are trying too hard to find a hotel with a mountain atmospere for your first night. Driving on unfamilar roads and trying to find a small hotel in the dark, makes no sense to me and does not sound like a great way to start a trip.

I would stay at one of the chain hotels NEAR the airport, get up early in the morning and head to Boulder for breakfast at the Chautauqua Dining Hall and then head to RMNP. I guarantee that you will feel like you are in Colorado. Staying in a hotel with a contrived mountain theme is no substitution for the real thing. Just be patient and wait until morning for the real Colorado.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM

well said.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Daydreamer also needs to know that trail ridge road can be closed at anytime. When it starts snowing, CDOT makes little effort to keep it open.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM

Just heard the forecast for tonight (Sunday). Snow above 8,000 including Estes/
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

Hi Daydreamer,

So many people, so many opinions. I agree with those who said you should skip RMNP, not because it isn't fine, but because you will see as much or more, in my opinion, of the same traveling to southwest Colorado.

As far as wildlife goes, I have seen elk all over western Colorado: Vail, Grand Mesa(by Grand Junction), near Telluride, near Ridgeway, by Lake City and South Park, and on and on. Have often seen Big Horns just outside Georgetown and other places as well.

I live in Grand Junction and we are very cool and rainy today, Sunday, Sept. 23. Very easily could be snowing around the higher areas. I did see in today's Denver Post that Mt. Evans is closed, so can Trai Ridge and Independence Pass be far behind?

Hard decisions to make, but I would head west on landing in Denver. Check Argo Motor Inn in Idaho Springs. Haven't stayed there for lately, but it was fine then.

Linda
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

Mt. Evans is closed for the season but not because the road is buried under feet of snow. I spent yesterday hiking around the Guanella Pass summit and it was 60 degrees and dry. Yes, it is supposed to snow tonight (1 -2 inches) above 8500 feet, but by next weekend the forecast is back in the 70s. If the forecast holds, Trail Ridge will be open. As for snow, there is also the possibility for snow in Denver & SW Colorado during your trip. Listen to the forecast, respect the weather and plan accordingly, but at this point in time, I see no reason to change your itinerary.

As for wildlife, we had elk and deer walk through our campground in RMNP in August. I love Telluride, but the only wildlife I saw in July was a well-fed marmot. Hope you have more luck!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, as well, for the further opinions/feedback. As said, SO many opinions on RMNP's relative 'worth.'
However, we're pretty much 'stuck' now w/a stay in Estes Park, since it's a 15 day cancellation, and I booked w/in that even. So, that's okay...
even if Trail Ridge or or Old Fall River Road close, I've read the Bear Lake area generally stays open, so we could at least see a little of that.
Hoping for slightly fewer crowds than in high summer, but am 'braced' for big numbers still as any wknd in Fall, no doubt very popular too.

If the road cutting through RMNP closes, we'll simply re-route ourselves & discover a different side of Colorado...maybe not making it to Aspen. (esp. if roads hit by major snow by then, somehow) Then, could overnight in Frisco or other areas, mentioned in these threads, as nice stopovers.

I really appreciate the weather updates, including the hiking one.
I'm still 'dreamin' of some nice fall colors, and hope we won't be too late on the that front, but again, am prepared for *anything*. I'm just floored that some areas had temps close to 90 this past week?

Simply unbelieavable to me, as I was envisioning sweater & warm pants weather! Have to come prepared for just about anything, it seems. (ugh!
hate to overpack, which is likely now) ;-)

Really looking forward to this. Hope to squeeze in (if time) a meal at Chautauqua, since it comes well-recommended, whether we stay at Niwot or not. Contrived mtn atmosphere, perhaps, but as mentioned, staying in Boulder for the same price, in a non-centrally located motel, also not that appealing. I do understand the advocating for keeping things simple the night we arrive. But guess I'm optimstic, since I'm a *total* night owl, and again, we'll be on PST time! ;-) If we stay at Niwot, I'll be sure to later post a 'review'.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:09 AM

There will be no problem getting to Aspen--4 hours from Denver on I70.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Still very confused why you want to stay in Niwot! There's no mountain, no mountain atmosphere, it's just a suburb with a main street. REally, take it from someone who lives there.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Now I see, after visiting their website. those are the most misleading photos I've ever seen. Those scenery pics are nothing-nowhere-noway Niwot!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Sylvia,
I understood whatever scenery pics they *did* have, that they were more RMNP area, or similar. Didn't consider place due to those! I know stretching the truth advertising, when I see it. (same goes for places in Estes Park that are nowhere near the images they include on their lodging websites) Well, at least, you don't see them from right there. ;-)

It's just the *only* spot in Boulder I found is a very plain motor court place (Quality Inn) which I guess is run pretty well, but like I said, isn't really walking distance either to Pearl St or similar, in Boulder.
But I have both it & the Niwot now booked, so have a day to finalize things. Need to run by husband, but like I said, am leaning towards the Niwot option.

And, if anything, maybe we'd only get pre-game partying going on in Boulder. (and smoke, which I did read some complaining about at the Quality Inn, as they said it was sucked into the rooms from the walkways) I'm a nightowl yes, but still, hope to catch *some* zzz's that night, nonetheless. ;-)

With the Niwot Inn, all non-smoking,
interior rooms, etc. it just seems like we'd get more comfy sleeping 'digs' for that night we're *first* into Colorado. (and yet, not too much further from checking out Boulder if we happen to wake up early enough to allow for that, prior to heading on to RMNP that day)

Could grab a bite or coffee in Boulder, altho' it seems Niwot has a couple of spots for decent lattes/tea, too? And picnic supplies? (the market or Treppeda's)

Whatever the case, may drive through Boulder & Boulder Canyon on way to 7, altho' I do realize we could
cut-over further up. Not sure which cutover/canyon is prettier?

Sylvia...sounds like you don't really enjoy Niwot, as a place to live.
Consider it more of a suburb to Boulder? (or Denver, even?)
Anyway, for a quick overnight, I doubt it's any worse than just staying closer to airport or in Louisville or Longmont, really. I mean, I would guess ALL are pretty similar, altho' this place, tinier? Thanks again...
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM

If you need something cute to do near Boulder, take the Celestial Seasonings tour and smell the mint!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -