Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from Ca to Seattle, passing Crater LK, back along Oregon Coast...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opened a new thread per beachbum's suggestion.
Thanks!

original posting:
angelradia on May 29, 09 at 01:17 PM
hi I registered because of this posting!!!!

I had the similar question and glad to see so many ppl are planning to go in June.

we have two grand parents, us and the kid leaving on June 4 from california to seattle and come back along oregon coast.

1. current plan:
day1 sfc to castella (1 hr north of redding)

day 2, castella, medford, route 62 to crater lake, driving 3.5 hrs; then from crater lake driving route 62, scenic 138 to roseburg for another 3.5 hrs.

day 3, winston safari 1.5hr, then drive all the way to seattle.

my question is: any recommendation for castella lodging please?
how feasible is my plan? Thanks!!

on returning, we plan to drive all the way from seattle-astoria-cannon beach-tillamook cheese-cape kiwanda, overnight pacific city

day2 new port aquariam, (maybe lincoln city outlet), florence sea lion cave, san dune, several light houses,shore acres garden/park, overnight at gold beach

day3 some redwoods and all the way back to sfc.

again is this plan feasible? did i miss any nice places along the coast?

THanks for your great input! we are only a few days to departure and really excited about the trip!

beachbum on May 29, 09 at 02:51 PM
I suggest you start your own thread, angelradia, but here's some comments to get you started.

Where's "sfc"? San Francisco? If so, why such a short driving day? Castella isn't much of a town (in fact, I'm not even sure it is one). How did you choose to stay there?

From previous posts, I assume you know that Crater Lake's rim road may not be open, though from weather we're having now, there's a good chance it will be. If it is, you'll want to exit the park at the north. And, if any of you are squeamish about heights, you'll want to drive the rim road in a clockwise direction.

Seattle to Astoria is about 3.5+ hours, which when added to all the sightseeing between there and Pacific City, will make for a long day. Must sees along that route for me would be Cape Disappointment State Park (outside of Ilwaco, WA) for North Head Lighthouse and the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center, Astor Column in Astoria, Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach, tidepools at the base of Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach, and Cape Meares State Park outside of Tillamook. If you're running short of time, pass on the cheese!

Pass on Sea Lion Caves, too, instead seeing them on the docks in Newport (sorta like at Pier 39 in San Francisco). And I'd include Cape Perpetua this day, including the drive to the top. Shore Acres is a great stop, but it's a bit of a detour.

"did i miss any nice places along the coast?"

Ummm.... are you sure you want to know the answer to that question?
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM

You might consider changing the order and doing the coast first, to give the snow at Crater Lake more time to melt (even a week this time of year can make a difference). But, the negative side of doing that is that it is better to drive the coast southbound so that it's easier to pull on and off of Rt. 101.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Beachbum!
I have a follow up question about Crater Lake

We are going to Crater lake passing Redding, Medford, along 62 for about 4 hrs.

I was told right now Crater lake has rim entrance and discovery center open. And if we want to take Scenic 138 to Roseburg, based on Google map as following:

Crater Lake National Park
Rim DriveCrater Lake, OR 97604
(541) 594-2255

22. Head south 203 ft
23. Turn right toward Rim Dr 0.3 mi
24. Turn right at Rim Dr 3.7 mi
25. Turn right at Crater Lake Hwy/OR-62 15.9 mi
26. Turn right toward W Diamond Lake Hwy/OR-230 161 ft
27. Turn right at W Diamond Lake Hwy/OR-230 23.7 mi
28. Turn left at Diamond Lake Bypass/OR-138
Continue to follow OR-138

So the current rim -drive- not- open would not impact our plan, right?
THanks for the clarification!

As to your great input, we will skip sea lion cave and add cape perpetua!
Is Astoria skippable, when we have a shorter time?
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks NWWanderer!!
It is a great thought. Guess it all depends on which side we weight more.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Yes that's right, angelradia, you can skirt around the west side of Crater Lake on ORs 62 & 230, and still have that nice drive down OR 138 to Roseburg. But, it would be nice if the rim road were open to allow an exit at the north of the Park. Regardless, you'll at least have a view of Crater Lake from Rim Village, which is where most of the photos you've seen were taken. That said, there's always a chance the Lake will be enshrouded in clouds, which means you won't see the surface. So, pray for clear skies!!

Still wondering about "sfc" and why Castella. Ashland is only about an hour north of there, and would be a much nicer overnight stop. Anyone interested in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival?
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Diamond lake is a nice stop too- there is a swimming beach, paddle boats, bike rentals with a great trail around the lake

Might be a little chilly for swimming in June but paddle boats could be fun- from the lake you will view 2 snow capped mountains - one of my favorite camping spots

There is a restaurant too- very casual dining.

Several waterfall hikes along 138 - a favorite is Tokatee Falls

Another nice stop along 138 is Steamboat Springs Resort- we always stop for some pie and icecream.

As you can see, I eat my way around Oregon.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM

We've never stayed overnight in Castella, but we always stop to take pictures of the incredible crags!! They are best visible when northbound, but there is a pulloff either way.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks beachbum! To answer your question, sfc =sanfracisco, my way of giving a nick name. my husband will not be able until 4pm hence we only have max five hrs. window of driving so i was looking around reddig and max 1 hr. further north.

THanks Sunbum1944 and Bobmrg for your advice!
I have printed the 10 stops along 138. We wil definately stop by castella for the Crags view!

I decided to stay overnight in Redding and leave early the 2nd morning.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

angelradia, fodorites are inclined to use airport abbreviations for cities: SFO for San Francisco, JFK for New York, DCS (or IAD) for Washington, DC, etc. Not the only way, of course, but one that is easily understood by most.

Bob (SEA)
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM

Sorry, Reagan National is DCA.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM

I would try to see Astoria, we loved the area so much 20 years ago, we purchased a home there. It's a beautiful area with so much history and charm, lots of good places to have seafood there too, we're headed over for dinner in Astoria from Seaside right now! ***kim***