Oregon: Best way to get to Crater Lake from Eugene

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it looks like I may be able to squeeze Crater Lake into our Oregon itinerary.

In this plan, we are driving down to Eugene from Portland through 99W (on a Sunday). I figure we should be in Eugene by noon. Have lunch then head to the lake by 1:00 or so.

Can you please comment on the following two routes from Eugene to CL regarding ease/time of drive and scenery?

1. OR 58. Parallels the Willamette River through Lowell, Oakridge down to OR 97 south through Chermult, then west on OR 138.

2. From Eugene, continue down I-5 to Roseburg. Take OR 138 east, which parallels the Umpqua River, through Glide, Diamond Lake, then into the park.

This would be the first week of September, so I'm assuming road conditions will be fine.

It would also just be overnight, just to see it and drive around the rim.

We'd leave the next morning around 10:00 or so and head straight to Yachats (through Eugene and Reedsport).

How long does it take to drive aroung the rim with short stops (10-15 minutes) just to take pictures?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Hey tandg,

I love the drive on 138 from Roseburg, particularly as you climb up to Diamond Lake. IMO, the scenery is more dramatic than along 58. In your case, though, you could take 58 to the lake, then 138 the next day to Yachats.

You'd enter the park from the north, regardless of 138 or 58. Drive around the east side to Rim Village, spend the night (best in Crater Lake Lodge, then drive the west side of the lake, exiting the park where you entered. The rim road around the lake is only 31 miles.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

I usually take I-5 to Roseburg and then along the Umqua - beautiful drive -

you could stop at Steamboat Springs resort for a rest stop - very nice area

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks bb, sb. You guys are great!

So it looks like we'd be driving around the entire rim just getting to and leaving the Lodge?

How long would you say that entire loop is if you stopped here and there, just to take pictures? I'm guessing maybe an hour driving around the east side to get to the Lodge and another hour driving around the west side exiting the park the next day?

I'm trying to figure how to time this as to when to arrive at the lake and leave the next day and still get to Yachats by early afternoon.

Since I have you two "on the line" , any recommendations for meals at the following:

Yachats, Bandon, Newport, Tillamook/Cannon Beach, Eugene area (only lunch), Brooking through Port Orford area (one dinner).

Much thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM

In Yachats I like to eat at the Adobe Resort - not because the food is so great - but its OK- but because the view is so fabulous -
right on the ocean - have even seen whales from the dining area

In Eugene - if you want a nice lunch / sit outside on a deck overlooking the Willamette the river
I suggest Valley River Inn

A little more casual but still with outdoor dining on the river is the Northbank - burgers, fries etc

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=40

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM

I'd plan on at least an hour for each side, tandg. But, it's hard for me to judge; last time I went around the lake, it was on a bicycle. The west side is shorter, but you'll need to take into account where you're starting from that morning. It might be as far away as Prospect....

Meals.... hmmm.... nothing fancy, right? I'm not good at restaurant names; we usually just pick places that look interesting. But, I do remember the Port Hole Cafe, in the Cannery Building at the marina in Gold Beach.

In Bandon, we eat most meals at one of the Bandon Dunes Resort restaurants. My favorite meal there is just having appetizers in the bar overlooking the 18th green of Dunes. Best breakfast is at the small cafe inside Bandon Trails clubhouse.

Newport and Yachats.... Nothing particularly memorable that I can put a name to, but you should stop at the original Mo's in Newport, an institution on the Oregon coast. And as you're driving north from there, make a slight detour to the Otis Cafe, north of Lincoln City. Have a meal there if the timing's right. If not, pick up a marionberry pie to enjoy later on.

There's almost nothing in Tillamook, but if you happen to be on Three Capes Scenic Loop near Oceanside, stop at Roseanna's. Another spot I like, north of Tillamook is Pacific Oyster in Bay City. Nice little cafe and fresh seafood counter.

Cannon Beach has lots of options. My favorite in town is Gower St. Bistro. Wayfarer next door is good too, and has the best seafood menu in town. For Cannon Beach's version of fast food: Ecola Seafood Market & Restaurant. Wide variety of deep-fried seafood, from clams & shrimp to halibut and salmon.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks guys.

sb, that website for Mcmenamins makes it seem as if that restaurant isn't even in the city. I'll check out the other sites as well.

bb, much thanks. I'll check out those restaurants. We'll probably have one or two really "nice" dinners, but yes, the rest would be more standard fare, just to keep the budget manageable.

Anything you can recommend in Port Orford down to Brookings?

I think you also said you're a golfer and played Bandon. How long is a morning round? If I tee off early enough, think I could get an 18 in before we check out? I already have a couple tee times, but nothing for the day we leave, so I was thinking of squeezing something in (if anything is available).
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM

When I click on the link I sent you it comes up showing the Northbank in Eugene - so not sure why it looks to you like out of the city

but in any case - its the Northbank
and it is in Eugene.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

sb, actually, I loved the picture! With the river in the background, it looks more like a little place somewhere out in the country. Beautiful. I think that will be our spot for lunch in Eugene.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Here is a link to Valley River Inn if interested

http://www.valleyriverinn.com/sweetwaters/index.cfm
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sb, that one looks nice as well. I think we'll be going with Mcmenamins. I love that outdoor seating area.

BB, sorry, I didn't see your recommendation at Gold's beach. I'll check it out.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Re golf at Bandon Dunes.... They'll try and keep you to a 4-hour round.

And if your wife has nothing to do while you're playing, tell her to take the trail to the beach leaving from near the Lily Pond buildings. Nice walk thru dunes, beachgrass, etc. Even saw a porcupine cross the trail.... And once she gets to the beach, she just might feel as if she's the only person on the planet. Pretty cool, really...
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Should also add.... My brother played Bandon Crossings last week. It's a new course, not park of Bandon Dunes Resort. Something like a $50 greens fee, and according to him, well worth it. And he plays to about a 5, so knows what he's talking about. Unlike me! ;-)

Also, plan those nicer meals in Portland. We've got great things going on in the dining scene here.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BB.

I keep hearing a lot about Bandon Crossing. Won't have time this trip, but definitely something to consider down the line.

I'll tell my wife about that walk to the beach. Sounds like something she might enjoy!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Best way is.... by car vs. by train