drive to Williamsburg from dc

Feb 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

drive to Williamsburg from dc

After a short visit to DC my husband and I, along with four teenagers, will be driving down to Williamsburg. I'm looking for suggestions on where we can stop along the way to break up the three hour drive. It will probably be late afternoon or early evening, so maybe a good dinner spot?
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM

If you take the first Fredericksburg exit and go west there is a large shopping area with a lot of the chains. My kids like to stop at the Applebees there but it is usually on our Philly-Wmsbg trips. We don't usually find a need to stop on the Wmsbg-DC trips.
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:39 AM

The shopping area is "Central Park" - the biggest collection of "big boxes" I've ever seen. I like the "Red Hot & Blue" ? BBQ place there.

I really don't feel I MUST stop on that short trip either, unless I haven't eaten for hours before the drive. Since I have some stock in Cracker Barrel, I sometimes stop at one of them, but the food is really nothing special. I'd rather wait til I got to Wbg to go to Sals by Victor, Pierces, or Casa Mayan
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Should only take 2 1/2 hours max from D.C. But for some good BBQ, I would stop at Pierces BBQ at the Lightfoot exit (close to Williamsburg - very popular). Great BBQ - very casual.
If you are looking for something nicer, great restaurants in Williamsburg.
Feb 7th, 2006, 08:12 AM

rb - did you FINALLY try Casa Maya? Glad to see you are now recommending it. Peggy - it does have very good Mexican food and is a good place for the kids. If they want to watch soccer ask for a seat in the sports bar section. If you decide on Pierces, ask for directions. Its probably a little easier to get to from the Camp Peary exit just after the Lightfoot exit.
Feb 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Birdie - yes, after seeing them in their new location gave them a try, and yes, the food was very good. The old location just seemed too creepy to suit me. I still like La Casita too, but knew if I recommended that, someone else would bring up C.M. instead. BTW, that old location looks creepier now (October) than ever, and is owned by the same company that owns the former Heritage Inn and Princess Anne Motel - the name escapes me right now.

Sals by Victor, in the Williamsburg Shopping Center @ Monticello & Richmond Rd would probably be open the latest of the Wbg restaurants written of so far. Signage is good from the Lightfoot exit (Rt 199?) to get to Pierces, but from either direction one begins to wonder if they're on the right road (Rochambeau).
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't stop between DC and Williamsburg either. The problem is that the only decent places to eat (meaning still chain but not McD's or a pancake house) are in Fredrickburg or in Stafford which has a big box place similar to Central Park. Both of those places are within DC's orbit. You won't have put much mileage behind and you might well still be in congested traffic.

I've found the traffic volume at Central Park in the last year or so to be a real deterrent. If I need a caffeine break these days, I go east at that Fredericksburg exit. There's a drive through Starbucks a couple of stoplights away.

Did you say in a previous thread you were staying in Alexandria? Consider getting some take out food from Balducci's at the south end of Old Town. They have a fantastic prepared food selection.

Feb 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Go, rb, for trying Casa Maya! Hope you enjoyed it.

Not sure, but I think that La Casita has closed....sorry.
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM

obxgirl, the entire city of Richmond may take offense to your statement that there are no decent restaurants in the area!
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I also recommend Pierce's for casual BBQ - a real institution in the area.

Ann - no offense to Richmond, just don't really go through Richmond to get from DC to W'burg.
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM

We always use the excuse to stop at Lowreys in Tappahannock, we love it!

Head south on 95. Exit onto 17S at the southern end of Fredericksburg. Route 17 is a pretty drive, with very little traffic. In Tappahannock stop at Lowreys, on the left, in town. It is a wonderful, family restaurant -- good seafood, chicken, vegetables, order the house dressing on the salad. They have a museum of old cars and curiosities-- just a wonderful restaurant.

After dinner continue down 17, cross the York River at Yorktown and take the Colonial Parkway to Williamsburg.
Feb 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Holy moly, Ann41, I never meant to disparage Richmond. I thought the OP was looking for places within spitting distance of I95, I295 and I64 en route from DC to Wmbg.

Good grief, Richmond is where we head from Wmbg when we need a taste of a real city and more than a handful of restaurants to chose from.

Mea culpa Richmond! Me amo Richmond! Did not mean to offend.