Drive or fly SAN-PHX

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Susan

Drive or fly SAN-PHX

We are going on vacation in April from San Diego to Phoenix (5nts), than on to Sedona (2nts). Trying to decide if we should fly, non-stop AmWest and rent a car or just drive? We'll be travelling with our 3yr old, which makes the driving a bit more challenging, particularly the 7-8hrs back from Sedona. But, airfare/rental car will add about $600 to the total bill. So, we are still deciding, any opinions? Thank you!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:11 PM
xxx

The drive is long and boring, with few choices of places to stop along the way. But by the time you have to wait 2 hours both ways at the airport, you might be just as well off with a car.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
travellyn

I'd drive. As xxx said above, you won't save much time flying to Phoenix. Are there flights into Sedona?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Susan

Thanks for the responses. No, flights to Sedona, we would rent a car in PHX & drive. So, I think we are driving. I think we're going to leave Sedona about 3pm, make it to PHX area for dinner, then drive the rest of the way & hope our son falls asleep. That should get us home around 11pm or so.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM
kam

Think you can fly to Flagstaff. I hate renting a car in Phoenix. Last time we found the worst rental agent ever, Advantage.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:36 PM
kkj

I make this drive several times a year. While it's not the most exciting drive in the world, it is a quick six hours. Personally I would drive. When you think about flying you figure you have to drive to the airport in San Diego, take all your stuff inside, be there about 1 hour before, take all your stuff onboard, have an hour flight, collect all your stuff and take a shuttle to the car rental place, wait in line and then get your car. You're not saving much time and you have all the aggravation of lugging your stuff all over the place. With driving you just get in your car once and go.

By all means drive. Have a fabulous trip.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:13 PM
Meg

I would absolutely drive. I have driven Phoenix to San Diego and back more times then I can count. On occassion I even drove from to SAN, went record shopping and drove back. One word about driving this route at night, sometimes it gets quite foggy in the hills past the border. Be careful.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:45 PM
steve

A local Phoenix talk show host discussed this topic this morning. Adding up all the hassle of flying, he concluded that it might be only 1/2 hour quicker to fly!

It is not unusual at all for people in Phoenix to drive to San Diego and back for the weekend. It is a fast drive as you can go 75 (or more) most of the route.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:12 PM
Susan

Thanks all, we're gonna drive.
I just thought it might be tough going all the way back from Sedona. But, I guess we'll drive late into the night so our son will sleep.

Now, if only someone will tell me where to stay in Sedona (other than Sky Ranch) with our 3 yr old.

Thanks!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:07 PM
Deb

Susan,

Would reccommend "L'Auberge de Sedona" located creekside in Sedona. You can either stay at the lodge or rent a cozy little French Country cottage.
Check it out on the internet.
Oh, BTW, the drive from PHX to Sedona is approx another 2 hr. drive.
Good luck. Enjoy.
Deb

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:04 PM
Susan

Hello Deb, I've been looking into L'Auberge, does the lodge have red rock views? Do you know about the Orchards, what kind of views they had? The cottages are running $475/nt when we will be there, too steep for us.

As for the driving, I think we will leave Sedona about 3pm, get to PHX area for dinner, then drive the rest from 6-11pm or so. I think it should work out ok. Thank you.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
steve

You can save a bundle if you stay in nearby Cottonwood

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:42 PM
nina

Priceline the car (can get full-size for about $20 a day) and the hotel (Can get a 3 star in Phoenix for $30-40 a night). That should save you some $, so that you can fly to Phoenix.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:57 PM
Susan

Steve, Do any of the hotels in Cottonwood have views of the Red Rocks? Do you have any place you could reccommend? Thank you!

nina, I wasn't really concerned about the money for flying, just don't want to spend it if it isn't going to be any more convenient than driving our own car. I can spend the money on our hotels instead. Thank you for the tips though!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
steve

No, cottonwood doesn't have a view of the red rocks.

You might also consider staying in Jerome. Again, no view of red rocks but an impressive view of the verde valley. My niece used to own the Ghost City Inn in Jerome. Never stayed there but it looks like a nice place.