Drive from NYC to Cape Cod

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family with small children will head out from NYC to Chatham on Cape Cod on Saturday, 8/9. We have a rental starting that day of the week as do so many others. We are aware that there will be lots of traffic, but would like to avoid major delays. Any advice as to route or timing? Should we leave at 4am or plan to arrive in the evening?? It's our first time, we have 2 weeks vacation and we are very flexible. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Okay, this may be all wrong since it has been a long time since I had to drive to the Cape on Saturday, BUT:

on the theory that most people can't get into their rentals before 4 AND
most people are optimistic, I would guess that the bulk of the traffic would try to get to the Cape by lunch time, thinking to have lunch then get into their place early,
THERFORE
the best time to leave might be a time that gets you to the Cape around 4-5, with a nice stop for lunch around, say Mystic, CT,
PROVIDED that you can get the key from your rental agent pretty much any time.

Note: this is theory and strategy, not reality and tactics!

The good news is that it is now easier to get through Providence and New Haven, those are real.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I'm with Ack on this one. I suppose you could leave @ 4 am and get to the Cape by 9, if that's your preference. Then you'll have to wait till the afternoon to get into your place. And pray it's not a rainy day.

I'd prefer Ack's timeframe. Seems like a more relaxed way to start while avoiding the traffic.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM

I would not bother worrying about "major delays". With the new roads, you're more likely to encounter only minor delays - not worth scheduling around.

Last July, we got a late start and sailed over the Bourne Bridge aroudn 5PM on a Friday night.

You can call 511 on your cell for "Smartraveler".
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Agree with djkbooks - we've been going to the Cape every weekend and hitting the Sagamore Bridge on Friday afternoon/evening without seeing a huge back-up. The flyover that replaced the old rotary at the Bridge has done a lot to alleviate the traffic problems. Coming from NYC you will be approaching the Bridge from the other direction but it hasn't seemed too backed up in that direction either. We've seen more traffic leaving the Cape from Hyannis on Sunday night but you seem to have a Saturday/Saturday rental so that might not be an issue for you.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just a note, the CT Turnpike, 95, is apt to be pretty slow Saturday morning. If you follow AckIs.'s excellent advice, you should allow about 3 1/2 hours to Mystic, once you're off Manhattan. Under ideal conditions it would be about an hour less.

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM

You m ight consider going out to the end of the North Fork of LI and crossing over to New London, CT on the Cross Sound Ferry. Kids might like it.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your helpful and detailed replies!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:04 AM

You could also take the Port Jefferson (LI) to Bridgeport Ct. ferry as a way to bypass some I 95 traffic and have a more scenic trip.