Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

drive from bozeman, mt to jackson, wy - suggestions on route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we're travelling to bozeman, mt and jackson, wy for the first time early this october and are very excited. does anyone have a suggested travel route we should drive? we've been reading about road closings in yellowstone and, since we don't know the park, were concerned. generally, how long is the ride from bozeman to jackson?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM

A lot of things close by mid October. Be sure to have plenty of gas before heading down.

If you want to drive the whole park, you'll have to go east on the interstate to Livingston first and then drive south to the north entrance. It will take you 1.5 hours to get there. It's 100 miles through the park but it is slow going--50-55 if no traffic. The roads are narrow and rough in some places. From the south entrance it's 70 miles to Jackson buy it's a better road.

If you don't want or can't drive through the park, you can take 191 (pretty drive through the Galatin Canyon) to West Yellowstone, then 20 and 22 to Jackson around the west side of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons (you still get a great view of the Tetons. Google Maps says it 216 miles and 4.5 hours.

If there's been a lot of show, go west on the interstate to Three Forks and take 287 down to 191 just north of West Yellowstone. It's a better, wider and less curvy road than 191.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM

I can't add better info than Connie has given, but I just want to say it's a great area and you will have a wonderful, scenic vacation! Have fun!
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM

I agree that Connie gave you great info. Be sure you have snow tires on the vehicle. (Rental agencies often do NOT have them on their cars.)

We drove the area a couple of years back in a rental vehicle and had a SNOWSTORM on Memorial Day weekend (late May), driving from Yellowstone to Bozeman, and it was scary with the crummy tires on that car, I can tell you!

I suspect October will be even riskier for snow, but I don't know for sure.

A very nice and interesting B&B in Bozeman, Montana is the "Howler's Inn", with a pack of wolves adjacent to the inn! Check their web site. We loved it!