Downtown washington DC hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have already booked a flight to DC in October and would like to stay downtown. I understand hotels can be pricey but 500.00 a night??? a bit more than I would like to send per night. I do want something clean, safe and in walking distance to some landmarks.
Suggestions???

Loved the Willard intercontinental but seems too much..
Thanks
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Well if you look at the best hotel in town it will be $500 per night. there are many more modest hotels at lower prices in decent areas within walking distance or short Metro to major sights. have you looked at the discount sites (travelzoo, kayak, etc) for your dates?)
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of options being discussed in this thread and I think this guy is also going in October.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...omment-6593316
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM

The Willard is one of the most expensive hotels in DC at any time of year.

Here are some other options ALL easily walkable to all the main tourist spots:

One small step below the Willard is the Monaco:
http://www.monaco-dc.com/

One small step below the Monaco is the W:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel..._PROP_OVERVIEW

One small step below the W is the JW Marriott:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...washington-dc/

And finally, depending on when in October you arrive and if you get lucky on the price, is a luxury hotel that is a step ABOVE the Willard and still walkable to many tourist sights (if fact it's right next to the White House):
http://www.hayadams.com/
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM

I've stayed at both the W and the JW Marriott. I would choose the latter.

The W is in a great location, the rooms can be nice, and the bars are great. But, therein lies the problem. The hotel becomes a nightclub in effect after 5:00 p.m. If the weather is nice you'll be battling the hip-20 somethings who are hanging around the lobby trying to get into the POV Lounge.

Last time there I literally had to push my way through the crowd to get to the elevators. When busy in the bar I've found the staff will sometimes commandeer the elevators which leaves paying hotel guests waiting.

That said, if you're in your twenties then it can be a great spot. Just make sure you tell them you want a room at least two floors above or below the lobby bar or the rooftop bar.

I've found the Jw Marriott to offer the best combination of lccation and price.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM

>>

I've stayed at the JW Marriott twice -- once it was $179 and once it was $500, about three months apart. It's completely dependent on what's going on in town. (P.S. I've also had drinks at the POV lounge at the W, and it's a lovely place to unwind at the end of a day of sightseeing, but don't think I'd be too happy fighting the bar crowd for the elevators!)
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I know you said you want to be within walking distance to some of the landmarks, but you might consider hotels that are out of downtown, but near a Metro station. We stayed in the Dupont Circle neighborhood, which we really liked, and was a quick Metro ride downtown. That would increase your options.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM

The Kimpton chain has some great small hotels in wonderful locations around DC. We stayed at the previously mentioned Monaco last spring and had a great experience. They were all in the 200-250 range.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Monaco is likely not going to be available in October at $200-$250 a night. October in DC is pricey.

OP, what is your budget?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM

We're going to be staying at the Hilton Garden on 14th St NW in Sept. We booked on points for most of the stay but the one nite we had to pay for was $230 I think. A little pricey but not in the $500 range!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM

When I was researching hotels for an August trip, the Hilton Garden was around $160/night. Seems that rates are highly variable in DC. That hotel is really convinient to the Metro station - literally across the street. We ended up staying at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza, which is a block further up 14th. It was ok, but I expected more from a Crowne Plaza.

That area is walkable to the National Mall area, but we chose to take the Metro and save our feet. We still walked a ton during the time we were there.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded!Some great guidance. My husband has an incurable cancer and just had a stem cell transplant last year his 50 birthday is October ( big history buff)so thats how I picked that month.Since he is currently in remission I saw Jetblue had flights from JFK to DC for 39.00 one way so I booked that first-now the problem was the hotel.
The W sounds like it would not be good for us- need something slower paced.
I will try kayak and some of the other suggestions..once again.Thanks