Notices

Downtown San Diego: Hilton, Hyatt, or Omni

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downtown San Diego: Hilton, Hyatt, or Omni

Hi! We will be spending Thanksgiving in San Diego this year and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about these three downtown hotels: Hilton Gaslamp, Grand Hyatt, and the Omni. I have looked at TripAdvisor and each one has some great raves...but also rants! I have always had tons of luck here so I would love any feedback. Also, any suggestions for Thanksgiving restaurant? Thank you!
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Hello, I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, it is a wonderful hotel, the rooms are nothing special, but it is near the Bay. We also stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza, won it on Priceline for $100/night over Memorial Day week-end. The Westin's rooms were bigger than the Hyatt (at least the room we had) and the bed was so comfy!!
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Saw an ad for the Omni offering "Grand opening luxury rate" of $99 through the end of 2004.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Dear Kattravel:

I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt....had a beautiful Bay view from the 24th floor of the Seaport Tower, the newest tower. If you are into views, this would be the location to stay. The other hotels you mentioned are more in town and offer a great city atmosphere, which is also nice. I think the Omni is near the sports arena.

The Hyatt's location is moments from Seaport Village and within walking distance of Horton Plaza and Gaslamp. I found the service to be outstanding and the room was quite satisfactory.

It was a quiet week in San Diego, when I was there. A convention the week before brought 30,000 people into the area...they left the day I arrived. I assume my service at the hotel would have been just as good if the hotel was totally full versus quiet.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM

All three of these are large hotels at about the same 3.5-4 star level. Of the three though, I recommend the Hilton for location (right in the Gaslamp surrounded by restaurants and nightlife) or the Omni which is brand new. It is connected to the new downtown ball park (not the Sports Arena) and is also very close to the Gaslamp. The Hyatt is across a major road (PCH) next to Seaport Village. It does have a good restaurant, called Sally's - that might be a good place to eat Thanksgiving dinner. I have not eaten there for a few years, but I think it still gets good reviews. The chef at the Hilton's New Leaf restaurant is also very good, I have taken cooking classes from him but I haven't eaten there. Sure it would put on a good Thanksgiving feast. If you want to splurge though, make a reservation in the Crown Room or Prince of Wales at the Hotel Del Coronado. At the very least, go over for a drink and have a walk around.