DOWNTOWN NYC HOTEL CENTRALLY LOCATED

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOWNTOWN NYC HOTEL CENTRALLY LOCATED

Hello:

I will be coming into Manhattan with my Mom and two children (12 and 10). I'm looking for a hotel downtown which would be convenient to the following activites:

TKTS booth downtown
Chelsea Piers
Ellis Island
Staten Island Ferry
Battery Park
Tenanment Museum

Need access to taxi's and bus routes to get uptown, if necessary. I was interested in the Embassy Suites (NOrth End Ave), but was not sure of location. I appreciate any help from those of you familiar with this particular area. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Are you sure you want to stay downtown? Midtown is more tourist-friendly and NYC's public transportation will get you anywhere on your list, and then some.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Well - most of the things you have listed are downtown. But if you're going to the TKTS booth presumably you're going to the theater - which is midtown.

Also - there are many other things you will probably want to see midtown/ uptown.

The place you have reservations is fine - but do realize things are not that close together and it is a big city. For most things subway is the best/fastest way to get around.

Suggest you download the interactive subway map from the mta web site and get a good, detailed street map - since the grid system doesn;t apply downtown. All streets have names instead of numbers and finding things can sometimes be a little tricky.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM

If the OP is specific about a TKTS booth downtown, there there is one at South Street Seaport.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input everyone. I am a New Yorker and we have done many, many touristy things with the kids in midtown. That is why I wanted to concentrate on the downtown "stuff" this time. But, I really don't get downtown that often so was hoping for some help from those of you "in the know." Thanks again.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM

I like the Millenium Hotel downtown. Get a high floor - perhaps decent rates on weekend. Built adjacent to the old AT&T Building at 195 Broadway, but it fronts on Church (?) Street. Beautiful building.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM

The Best Western at southstreet seaport could be a good option.
I don't know it as customer, but the location is convenient, not too far/your needs and of the TKTS booth...
Erik.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM

One way to familiarize yourself with the options is to go to mapquest.com. Get a map for one of the hotels--say the Embassy Suites (just put the name of the hotel in the first line and then the city and state). You'll see where the hotel is. Now do a search for hotels nearby. You'll get them on all on the map and see where they are in relation to each other.

No one hotel is going to be near all the things you list so anything downtown will be close enough. The Millenium Hilton has a pool (indoor) but sits right next to the WTC site which is not very attractive (imo). I would go with the Embassy Suites. It's very kid friendly, and you could get a 1 bedroom suite for more space. Some of their rooms have balconies with water views. The Ritz Carlton Battery Park is another option and you might find nice bargains on that over a weekend.

I don't see a huge difference b/w subway access for the hotels near Battery Park vs. the Seaport.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:35 AM

My choice of words on the Mill. Hilton location was unfortunate to say the least. I just think there are less depressing/more user friendly places to stay right now with children.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:31 AM
GoTravel

I like the Best Western Seaport, Manhattan Seaport Suites, and the Club Quarters. My first pick would be the Club Quarters for location.

www.DowntownNY.com

There is free transportation all over downtown so I wouldn't worry about cabs around downtown.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM

I think the emabssy suites would be a good choice. It's near hudson river park where there's lots for the kids to do. you can stroll (or bike or skate) along the river up to chelsea piers or down to Ellis Island ferry/Battery Park/ SI Ferry. It's a bit removed from the 'action', but that can be a good thing, it won't be noisy, crowded and chaotic like Times Sq. You also aren't far from Tribeca where there are many restaurants.

In general, the hudson area is very kid friendly. There are lots of recreational facilities all along the river path from battery park, up to chelsea piers. There are even city run tennis courts, and batting cages. Pier 40 (at Houston St) has some very nice athletic fields where you may catch a little league game or soccer practice.

Check www.rivertorivernyc.com for listings of free events in the downtown area during the summer.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM

We always stay at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park. They sometimes have some good deals! The bar on the 14th floor is beautiful with views of the water, Ellis Island, bridges, and the Statue of Liberty. Even if you don't stay at the RC, it's a nice place to sit & have a drink & some appetizers!