Downtown Miami HOTELS - Help

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downtown Miami HOTELS - Help

I have to go to Miami on business. I need to attend an event at the Parrot Jungle. This attraction was in another location but has recently moved locations. The website states Parrot Jungle Island is located at 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, off 395, between downtown Miami and South Beach.
I was told the Downtown area would offer me the best hotel options, is this correct, what about staying near the airport? And if so which hotels. Do I really need a car as I thought taxi's would be cheaper. I will be staying from Friday until Monday. I would assume that Priceline/Hotwire would offer me the best deals, if I missed anything please!!!
Thanks Elaine
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Parrot Jungle is now located on Watson Island, along the causeway from downtown Miami to South Beach. There's no hotel right there but there is a Marriott (Bayshore Dr.) and Renaissance (Biscayne Blvd) on the Miami side of the causeway, each only a 10 minute walk. The airport is about 15 minutes from Watson Island and about a $28 cab ride. I'd think it would be cheaper to rent a car which are fairly inexpensive in Miami.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:13 PM

The new Parrot Jungle is only 5 or so minutes by car from South Beach. Why don't you stay at a nice hotel on the beach where you can actually go outside and enjoy the sights. There's not much to do in Downtown Miami, especially at night.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Oh my God, please don't stay in Downtown Miami unless you have a bulletproof vest. I have never seen such a desolate downtown in the evening as Miami's, not to mention some of the weirdos around as well. My first choice would be Miami Beach.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Bo

Go to BettterBidding.com for information about what hotels have been received with Priceline/Hotwire and how much to bid.

The airport area is about 20 minutes from the 'downtown' area (~$20 taxi) so that may be a bit far (and expensive) if you need to travel roundtrip everyday.

South Beach is another option for you (i guess) with lots of nitelife, but it will be MUCH more expensive than the downtown area, even thru Priceline/Hotwire.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have been checking hotwire/priceline as well as better bidding. I don't need to stay on the Beach as prices are higher. An area I saw on both sites is the Coral Gables/Coconut Grove area, does anyone have any knowledge of this area?
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Gables and Grove have nice hotels and much more to do than a downtown hotel. Less than 20 minutes to Parrot Jungle from the Grove. Definitely get a car.