Miami Doubletree Or Avalon Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is attending a business conference in Miami the end of this month. There are rooms available at The Avalon and also at The Doubletree on Biscaye Bay. Any suggestions regarding these two hotels would be appreciated. She did not know which of the two was nicer. Thanks for suggestons.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:11 AM
GoTravel

Where is her conference?

The Avalon is in South Beach.

There are two Doubletrees on Biscayne Bay; one is Coconut Grove and the other is downtown.

All things being equal, I'd stay at the Avalon first, Doubletree Coconut Grove second, and the downtown one third. Downtown isn't the best part of town. Especially at night.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I stayed at the Avalon many years ago. It is a classic Art Déco hotel in South Beach (that is, it's in Miami Beach, a separate city from Miami)-- small facility, cozy rooms, thin walls. Having said that, they have recently remodeled the rooms (which were a bit downmarket back in the day), and they look nice on the website. And the on-site restaurant, A Fish Called Avalon, is a truly excellent seafood eatery.

Still, if the conference is in Miami proper, the Doubletree would be the better choice. And it's more modern.

I should advise you that Tripadvisor reviews go all over the map for both properties-- typical for Miami and Miami Beach hotels.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

The conference is at The Convention Center. Which hotel is closer to that area? Also I have been reading some reviews and The South Seas Hotel seems to be popular. Many of the hotels are already booked. Rooms were available at The Doubletree and The Avalon. Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM
GoTravel

Which convention center? Miami or Miami Beach? The distinction is important because they are no where near each other. I'm sure your daughter doesn't want a 30 minute daily commute.

The South Seas Hotel is great. I've stayed there several times.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Miami Convention Center, or Miami Beach Convention Center?

Not a trivial difference.

Go, do you think the OP is referring inadvertently to the Doubletree Surfcomber, which is in South Beach and is quite nice? Since she's now bringing up the South Seas (next door to the Surfcomber)....
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
GoTravel

I don't think so because she brought up Biscayne Bay. Two of the Doubletrees are on Brickell on Biscayne Bay.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
GoTravel

Sorry, Bayshore Drive.