Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Grand Key Resort, Hilton Key West Resort or Hampton Inn Key West??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the Doubletree Grand Key Resort, Hilton Key West Resort or the Hampton Inn Key West . . . which hotel would you choose and why? My husband and I will be celebrating our 1st Anniversary in April (We're using our FF miles -- so it has to be one of these three.)

Thanks!
Cindy
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:24 PM
GoTravel

The Hilton is the only one of those that is in Old Town. With the Doubletree or Hampton Inn, you would have to drive, taxi, or shuttle to Old Town Key West.

95% of the good dining, attractions, and shopping are in Old Town and the Hilton is within walking distance of everything. Plus, it is on the water. Good Sunday Brunch.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM

You definitely want to stay at the Hilton. It's facing the sunset and right at Mallory Square. You'll be close to where you can catch all the shuttles, tours, etc. I walked through their hotel when I was in KW this year and thought it was very nice.

The sunsets are magnificent in KW. You'll love the location. I wouldn't stay on the other side of the island unless I was desperate and wanted to stay away from all the action.

Go to Kelly's at the corner of Whitehead and Caroline St for happy hour. It's got a nice bar and great drinks & food!

Don't bother renting a car if you stay at the Hilton. It will be a waste of money that can be better spent on a snorkeling trip or some other activity. You can walk most of KW and take a shuttle or cab to anywhere else.

Happy Anniversary!
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:24 AM

Out of the three you have choosen, my pick would be the Hilton. The location is better than the other 2. If you decide to expand your options you should also look at the Ocean Key House Resort. It is next to the Hilton and is a beautiful hotel.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM

There's absolutely no contest on this...the Hilton! The Grand Key is out by the airport in an absolutely AWFUL location, and the Hampton Inn's location isn't much better. The Hilton, on the other hand is right on the Gulf in the lap of the sunset celebrations and great restaurants. In fact, the Hilton has a very good restaurant of its own.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:16 PM

Another huge vote for the Hilton! The location is perfect so you can walk to most things and not have to cab it or anything. I looooove Key West!
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:16 AM
cd

another topping for Kay
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the topping, cd!

In truth, we're the quiet-laid back type who are going to Key West mainly to get in some fishing and relaxing - we're not into the nightlife scene, and I get sensory overload from large crowds. I know now that we'll be depending on taxis and shuttles, but those seem to be preferable to renting a car and dealing with the hassle of parking, $2/hr spots, and $10/day at the hotel itself. At this point mainly I'm concerned as to whether the Doubletree has nice rooms and good staff. Thanks to all who've offered advice and viewpoints so far! I'd love to hear more!
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM

From other posts and a few visits, I gather it has a great view of the airport. I would definitely try to find something in old town unless early morning jet engines is "your thing."
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:18 PM

If you stay in Old Town, you won't need to depend on taxis and shuttles. My husband and I go to Key West for R&R - not nightlife - but we enjoy staying in Old Town, where restaurants are nearby. There are lots of accommodation options that are private but in convenient locations.

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Key West is not really a party town, it used to be a GAY mecca, but no more. All activities are on Duval street and Hilton is a few blocks away from the noisy Duval. Sunset festival last only for a couple of hours and then everybody goes to eat and sleep...Even Duval street is kind of dead after midnight. GO FOR THE HILTON
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:30 PM

We stayed at the Doubletree Grand this summer for 2 nights on our first trip to the Keys. I would have loved to stay in oldtown but we got the Doubletree on Priceline. The room was nice we had a view of the pool but without a balcony. The pool are was very pleasant and large. I didn't think it was an "AWFUL" location as far as the early poster stated, they did have a free shuttle that during the summer seemed to have plenty of room anytime we needed to ride it. It dropped you off in two different locations in the Duval Street area. But if price is no concern I too would go to the Hilton .