Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you buy T-shirts, etc. (for yourself), from the establishments you visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
shirtless

Help me with this one.

I understand someone buying a (for instance) "New York City" T-shirt as a gift for someone at home, but I have a hard time understanding why anyone buys a T-shirt (or other apparel) advertising the hotel they're staying at or restaurant they eat at. Why spend $15-$20 to advertise fo them?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
a

We buy a magnet from each place we visit. They only cost $1-$5 and are a nice little reminder of our trips. We bring other people gifts that are specific to the region (i.e. we brought back Curacao from Curacao to give as gifts).

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:13 AM
rocky

Know what you mean. I get an ulcer every time I see a "Hard Rock Cafe" T-shirt.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Gary

If I really liked a place and I want to advertise it I wait till I get home and buy the shirt for few dollars on ebay. No way would I ever pay 20 bucks for a t-shirt. You can get some impressive shirts from snobby places cheap.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
x

I have a wonderful robe that advertises the hotel I stayed at during my honeymoon. My husband bought it for me, so every morning I feel like I'm still on my honeymoon.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
nina

Never. Actually, I take that back. My husband bought a nice short sleeve, 3 button shirt from the Ariau Towers Jungle Lodge in the Amazon jungle when we were there since it was the type of place that very, very few people visit. So far I haven't seen anyone else with that shirt!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:54 AM
redneck

Only if it has a picture of Dale Earnhart or Jeff Gordon on it!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
jpm

Shirtless, I agree with you totally. If a company wants me to walk around advertising for them, I'll be glad to take a free shirt (or they can pay me). But I will never pay to buy a shirt that has advertising on it. This is one of my peeves and even extends to sports teams...

When I bought my truck I had a huge argument with the dealership and got a $200 discount because they had stuck a metal square on the back of the truck with the name of the dealership on it. I was ready to walk out of the deal when they relented.

Now saying that, I will admit to having bought Hard Rock Cafe items for family and friends from all over the world - I've been to many of them but I don't own a single Hard Rock Cafe item for myself.

jpm

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
m&m

Guess I'm different. I'm one of the "ones" that like to buy t-shirts. And I only want a t-shirt that I've bought when I was actually there. I know it doesn't make since to buy a Maui t-shirt that says "made in China". But that's just me.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:03 PM
beachbum

For me they're sorta like photos that remind me of places I've been and good times had. In that I wear t-shirts more often than I look at photo albums, they're even better.

On the other hand, I don't get why you'd buy a t-shirt as a "gift". What meaning could it have to someone who didn't get to go?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
judith

i have a treasured t-shirt from acoma pueblo in n.m. that is priceless to me. i know they can use any money that comes their way. i wear it to exercise class and remember the beautiful sky city. also have one from zion with subtle lovely petroglyphs. i call these my important dress-up t-shirts.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:29 AM
That was me

I'm the one in the Hard Rock tshirts, every where I go I buy a tshirt, usually off a clearance rack for 10-12 bucks, I wear 'em awhile then use the shirt minus the logo as a rag. The logos are cut off and saved to make quilts. These quilts serve as momentos and make great conversation pieces. Hey you asked remember?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:36 AM
J Correa

We also generally buy t-shirts from places we go. It's fun. We also bring t-shirts back as gifts for other people. They seem to enjoy getting them so why not?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:48 AM
giftee

As a frequent traveler myself, I would not bother to bring a t-shirt back for a friend or family member. People are always bringing me t-shirts. I thank them graciously, but typically give the t-shirts to a local women's shelter. Why would I want to wear a touristy t-shirt from some place I've never been? I don't mean to sound ungrateful, just honest.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Tee

I work in the travel industry and have received many souvenier (I don't have spell check)T-shirts from different hotels. I won't buy them, but I will wear a free one when I am dressing super casual.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:28 AM
S

I only wear a handful of T-shirts. Why waste my money on more? What I enjoy is buying a charm from each destination for one of my charm bracelets (silver or gold). This is also something I do for my daughters. I figure it'll be more meaningful in the long run than a T-shirt or cheap toy.