Reload this Page >

Do we need a car for 2 nights on Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Alexis

Do we need a car for 2 nights on Oahu? We don't have much planned for those two days except to recover from the long flight from NY and to see the Arizona Memorial. Any recommendations on what area of the island to stay that's accessible to beaches and attractions without a car?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:31 AM
tom

If you want to see anything of the real Hawaii the best way is to rent a car and visit the North Shore. Drive thru Wahiwa to Haleiwa and then west along the beach hwy. You'll see some of the best beaches in the world. The snorkeling is great here. The Polynesion Cultural Center is a great place to find out about the cultures of all the south pacific islanders but takes most of a day. If your staying in Waikiki Beach it's like New York city with a nice beach. Overcrowded and Overpriced.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:06 AM
John

Alexis:
You'll never forgive yourself if you don't stay in Waikiki. Plenty there to keep you occupied for two days. No, you don't need a car in that area either. Everything is in walking distance.
Besides, one doesn't go to Hawaii to save money.
John

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Lenore

I agree with John. If you're going to be there only two days, there's plenty of things to do right in Waikiki and no need for a car. They have a pretty good bus system and cabs are easy to find. You should definitely stay right on the beach in Waikiki. Besides the Pearl Harbor sites, you can hike to the top of Diamond Head (not too strenuous if you're reasonably fit), go to Hanauma Bay to snorkel or just hang out on Waikiki Beach. Lots of shopping and restaurants right there too. Unless they planted palm trees and added tiki torches within the past couple of months, I think you'll see right away that Hawaii is nothing like New York City.....except maybe the energy level!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Sarah

All depends on the type of person you are Alexis. I like Waikiki but if you have and adversion to crowds, buildings, cities you will hate Waikiki.

I agree about seeing or walking down the strip. Moana and Royal Hawaiian are worth a walk through. You also have a new branch of the Bishop Museum in Waikiki. I would go for the gift shop alone! I like at least seeing the world famous beach of Waikiki but I took someone last year and they could not leave quick enough. We stayed at the Hawaiian Hilton in August. A zoo and this person would not even walk the strip with me, they just hated it. We came from the NS of Kauai. Having seen this reaction . I would never suggest that you would hate yourself for skipping.

I would want a car to get out at least for dinner. Don't you want to go to Iolani Palace, Byodo Temple? Windward side is just a 20 minute drive over the plali. Along the way you can stop off at the Pali and see sweeping views of Honolulu. LOOK AT ONE SINGLE PHOTO OF BYODO TEMPLE. This is what you will kick yourself for missing! What about an evening in China town much different than what we have on the East Coast and if you go early enough (afternoon)you can buy some leis at bargain prices and see them being sold in the old style. Someone making them right in front of you. I love the windward side of Oahu, the north shore. This is where Oahu's greatest beauty is, imo.

Cabs are expensive, I took one to the North Shore for 60 dollars two years ago and it think he gave me a break. GEE THAT WAS A DIFFERENT ECONOMY FOR ME!! Around $30 into waikiki with a cab from the airport.The bus by the way is painfully slow. I think it is an hour to get to the airport using it and it is only 8 miles away from Waikiki. Take a shuttle for $15 dollars and you have to stop off at a million hotels enroute.

Get a car unless you are really on a budget.