Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do musicians in the US have to add sales tax to their gig price.

Do musicians in the US have to add sales tax to their gig price.

Old May 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In NYC, you file a federal tax return and a state tax return. The state return the NYC tax portion. The surprise for me when I was a freelancer was unincorporated business tax. Since I filed a Federal Schedule C (made business deductions) and was not incorporated, I had to file this as well. Believe me, I did the math to verify that it was worth it to file a Schedule C . . . and it was worthwhile, even with the extra UBT. However, I didn't even know this tax existed for while, so they got me for a few years initially, including penalties.

Just check carefully for your location. As you can see, it can vary not only from state to state but also from city to city. NYC may be the biggest oddity regarding this, but do check.
ellenem is offline  
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,336
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nelsonian - "overkill" is a pretty good word for it.
smetz is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
Jul 3rd, 2008 06:22 AM
Australia & the Pacific
Jan 19th, 2008 04:41 AM
United States
Jan 20th, 2005 02:32 PM
Mar 19th, 2004 07:40 AM
May 30th, 2003 02:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -